Sign in with
Your question

Can't install monitor driver

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 13, 2011 11:36:30 PM

Hey guys, I really need some expertise here. I have an Acer S231HL LED LCD 23" monitor. I'm running Windows 7 Pro SP1. Windows 7 detects the monitor as Generic PnP Monitor. I went to Device Manager, right click on monitor, click on update drivers, select browse my computer for drivers, select let me pick from a list of device drivers on my pc, click on have disk and select the driver. I select S231HL HDMI, it says "The system cannot find the file specified".

I used the driver that comes with the monitor and also download the driver from acer's website. I contacted acer's tech support via chat, the guy couldn't resolve it. So he insist that I call tech support and ask to be transferred to a higher level. I did and the guy on the high level tech support said I have to pay $9.99 for this issue even though I purchase this monitor less than a week. What a total BS this is.

I'm hoping that some of you gurus out there can help me with this.

Thanks.

More about : install monitor driver

a c 76 C Monitor
June 14, 2011 12:11:34 AM

As long as it recognizes that the monitor supports 1920x1080, I don't think you really need a specialized monitor driver - if the monitor had something like a built-in USB hub, card reader, or touchscreen, you might need a driver for that, but that monitor doesn't. I've got a Gateway XHD3000, which is identified as "XHD3000" in the Screen Resolution dialog, but when I look at the monitor tab in Advanced Settings, it says "Generic PnP Monitor", yet I have no trouble running it at its native resolution, 2560x1600.
m
l
June 14, 2011 2:56:49 AM

So I should be able to get HD quality without installing the monitor's driver?
m
l
Related resources
a c 76 C Monitor
June 14, 2011 3:26:01 AM

alphaman9 said:
So I should be able to get HD quality without installing the monitor's driver?

Yes.
m
l
June 14, 2011 1:57:04 PM

Thank you Mauve.
m
l
!