[Solved]Red/Green Colorblind Gamer: Approx 350 USD Recommendation

benihana_chef

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Copy/pasted template(?)

Approximate Purchase Date: The sooner the better

Budget Range: $350 max unless you can twist my arm

Monitor Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming > Internet > Movies/TV Shows > *

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, Amazon (Prime), microcenter (local store)

Country of Origin: US

Brand Preferences: Slight apprehension for Asus (will be explained below)

Physical Size (Diagonal): Between 24-27

Resolution(s) You'll Consider: 1920x1080.

Computers and Other Devices To Attach: 1 Computer

Panel Type(s) Desired: Please see below. :)

LED Backlight: Indifferent

Speakers: Avoid

Wall-Mount: Avoided (They'll be on a desk so no wall mounting)

Stand Functions: Good stability

Additional Comments:

Hi, about 2.5 years ago I purchased an Asus MK241H from Newegg. Monitor was really great, but it has in the last few months developed vertical banding throughout the screen. This is more prevalent is certain colors, but it also has an annoying 'strobe' affect that is making it unusable. I need to replace this soon. I am currently using a small 19" widescreen that I've "borrowed" from my wife for a few weeks.

About me: I am pretty severely red/green colorblind. As such, I can sacrifice some "color accuracy" in lieu of better backlight technology (from an eyestrain perspective).

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to any help.

Solution
I'm not sure you can tell just from the backlight technology what the eyestrain will be like - LED backlights use PWM to reduce the brightness (i.e. they turn on and off quickly), but if the frequency of that is high enough, the flicker won't be noticeable to the human eye.

The Samsung P2770FH is a popular choice, but some user reviews indicate the stand isn't that great, so I'd suggest either the ViewSonic VX2739WM or the ViewSonic VX2753mh-LED
I'm not sure you can tell just from the backlight technology what the eyestrain will be like - LED backlights use PWM to reduce the brightness (i.e. they turn on and off quickly), but if the frequency of that is high enough, the flicker won't be noticeable to the human eye.

The Samsung P2770FH is a popular choice, but some user reviews indicate the stand isn't that great, so I'd suggest either the ViewSonic VX2739WM or the ViewSonic VX2753mh-LED

Solution

benihana_chef

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Thanks MauveCloud. I will take a look at those three monitors and will repost when I've made my choice.

Edit to add: Every time I look at monitors in a store, the HP monitors seem to look better than Samsung/LG, etc... Is this just my eyes being stupid? They seem to have more of a Liquid look to them. I've been tempted to pull the trigger on them in the past, but I'll go online and see mixed/bad reviews which makes me doubtful.

Currently I am leaning towards the VX2753mh-LED. Will spend some time this evening looking for reviews. There are 3 or 4 user-reviews on Newegg.

benihana_chef

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Props to you MauveCloud.

I got the VX2753mh from Amazon (paid 4 bucks for it overnighted) and got it hooked up. I think a lot of my eyestrain problems were because that Asus I owned had a bad panel. I suppose it happens, and I really am not aggrivated at Asus, as every other hardware item I've owned of theirs has usually been decent.

Anyways, I have noticed a smoother picture on a couple of games and videos to concur that from that perspective, things seem fine.

My next challenge: Getting this monitor to have a bit of a "pop" to it. Sort of like when you watch something filmed in video on a Plasma tv. I've seen cheaper monitors appear this way in stores, but find it tough to get mine to emulate that.