JM

Whenever I use a CD-R to burn data straight from XP's built-in CD burning
feature (using the Send To command after r-clicking the file), I label it as
such: "XP Direct CD." I've always got 4-5 laying around to throw files on
for temporary purposes, etc, but lately most of them will no longer work
with XP. I get an error that says "Windows XP does not support this CD-R
format." But, it's XP's own format! It worked days ago, or weeks ago, or
whatever. But now these CDs are totally unusable. Was there a Windows
update that drastically changed the feature?

I've googled this and come up "answers" of all imagineable types, but
nothing that fixes my problem.

All help appreciated.

Thank you,

JM

CD-R are write once media usually. Once the CD writing session is complete,
you can not normally add to the CD-R. You would need to look at Roxio or
Ahead, which are two of the leading CD/DVD writing tools.

"JM" <jm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I use a CD-R to burn data straight from XP's built-in CD burning
> feature (using the Send To command after r-clicking the file), I label it
> as such: "XP Direct CD." I've always got 4-5 laying around to throw
> files on for temporary purposes, etc, but lately most of them will no
> longer work with XP. I get an error that says "Windows XP does not
> support this CD-R format." But, it's XP's own format! It worked days
> ago, or weeks ago, or whatever. But now these CDs are totally unusable.
> Was there a Windows update that drastically changed the feature?
>
> I've googled this and come up "answers" of all imagineable types, but
> nothing that fixes my problem.
>
> All help appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> JM

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:08:49 GMT in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, JM favored us with...
> Whenever I use a CD-R to burn data straight from XP's built-in CD burning
> feature (using the Send To command after r-clicking the file), I label it as
> such: "XP Direct CD." I've always got 4-5 laying around to throw files on
> for temporary purposes, etc, but lately most of them will no longer work
> with XP. I get an error that says "Windows XP does not support this CD-R
> format." But, it's XP's own format! It worked days ago, or weeks ago, or
> whatever. But now these CDs are totally unusable.

I've seen similar problems. Somehow Windows does get confused
sometimes, even with the disks it wrote itself. It's definitely not
an issue of insufficient free space -- and contrary to what someone
else wrote, you definitely _can_ write multiple sessions to a CD-R.

Maybe Windows' burner is crippled by design and can only do so many
sessions per disk; maybe it's just another bug in the Roxio
software that is bundled in Windows as the CD Writing Wizard. I do
know that after the Wizard failed to write, I took the very same
disk and successfully added files using third-party software.
Therefore I permanently turned off "Allow recording" in the drive's
properties, and I now use only a third-party burner.

You're probably going to ask "which burner?" :) NTI CD and DVD
Maker came with my computer, so that's what I use. But I would not
recommend it, as it has quirks of its own. For instance, more often
than not it fails to write last-modified dates and times to the
disk. One of my Some Day One Day projects is to find a better
burner software -- most likely I'll follow the herd and go with
Nero.

> Was there a Windows update that drastically changed the feature?

Not as far as I'm aware. I had this problem not long after getting
my machine, which came with XP Pro SP2 preinstalled.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:39:06 -0400 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Yves Leclerc favored us with...
> CD-R are write once media usually. Once the CD writing session is complete,
> you can not normally add to the CD-R.

That's extremely not correct. Open Help and Support Center and in
the search window type "add files to a CD" (no quotes). Under
"Suggested topics" I see one hit, "Add more files to a CD", which
explains how to do it for a CD-R or CD-RW.

It's true that any particular region of a CD-R can be written only
once. But you can write to a CD in multiple sessions, and if you
write a new version of the same file in the same directory the
write process sets pointers so that the new version hides the old
one even if it's physically there.