XP CD Burning Errors - please help

Whenever I use a CD-R to burn data straight from XP's built-in CD burning
feature (using the Send To command after r-clicking the file), I label it as
such: "XP Direct CD." I've always got 4-5 laying around to throw files on
for temporary purposes, etc, but lately most of them will no longer work
with XP. I get an error that says "Windows XP does not support this CD-R
format." But, it's XP's own format! It worked days ago, or weeks ago, or
whatever. But now these CDs are totally unusable. Was there a Windows
update that drastically changed the feature?

I've googled this and come up "answers" of all imagineable types, but
nothing that fixes my problem.

All help appreciated.

Thank you,

JM
3 answers Last reply
More about burning errors help

    CD-R are write once media usually. Once the CD writing session is complete,
    you can not normally add to the CD-R. You would need to look at Roxio or
    Ahead, which are two of the leading CD/DVD writing tools.

    "JM" <jm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Whenever I use a CD-R to burn data straight from XP's built-in CD burning
    > feature (using the Send To command after r-clicking the file), I label it
    > as such: "XP Direct CD." I've always got 4-5 laying around to throw
    > files on for temporary purposes, etc, but lately most of them will no
    > longer work with XP. I get an error that says "Windows XP does not
    > support this CD-R format." But, it's XP's own format! It worked days
    > ago, or weeks ago, or whatever. But now these CDs are totally unusable.
    > Was there a Windows update that drastically changed the feature?
    >
    > I've googled this and come up "answers" of all imagineable types, but
    > nothing that fixes my problem.
    >
    > All help appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > JM

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:08:49 GMT in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, JM favored us with...
    > Whenever I use a CD-R to burn data straight from XP's built-in CD burning
    > feature (using the Send To command after r-clicking the file), I label it as
    > such: "XP Direct CD." I've always got 4-5 laying around to throw files on
    > for temporary purposes, etc, but lately most of them will no longer work
    > with XP. I get an error that says "Windows XP does not support this CD-R
    > format." But, it's XP's own format! It worked days ago, or weeks ago, or
    > whatever. But now these CDs are totally unusable.

    I've seen similar problems. Somehow Windows does get confused
    sometimes, even with the disks it wrote itself. It's definitely not
    an issue of insufficient free space -- and contrary to what someone
    else wrote, you definitely _can_ write multiple sessions to a CD-R.

    Maybe Windows' burner is crippled by design and can only do so many
    sessions per disk; maybe it's just another bug in the Roxio
    software that is bundled in Windows as the CD Writing Wizard. I do
    know that after the Wizard failed to write, I took the very same
    disk and successfully added files using third-party software.
    Therefore I permanently turned off "Allow recording" in the drive's
    properties, and I now use only a third-party burner.

    You're probably going to ask "which burner?" :-) NTI CD and DVD
    Maker came with my computer, so that's what I use. But I would not
    recommend it, as it has quirks of its own. For instance, more often
    than not it fails to write last-modified dates and times to the
    disk. One of my Some Day One Day projects is to find a better
    burner software -- most likely I'll follow the herd and go with
    Nero.

    > Was there a Windows update that drastically changed the feature?

    Not as far as I'm aware. I had this problem not long after getting
    my machine, which came with XP Pro SP2 preinstalled.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:39:06 -0400 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Yves Leclerc favored us with...
    > CD-R are write once media usually. Once the CD writing session is complete,
    > you can not normally add to the CD-R.

    That's extremely not correct. Open Help and Support Center and in
    the search window type "add files to a CD" (no quotes). Under
    "Suggested topics" I see one hit, "Add more files to a CD", which
    explains how to do it for a CD-R or CD-RW.

    It's true that any particular region of a CD-R can be written only
    once. But you can write to a CD in multiple sessions, and if you
    write a new version of the same file in the same directory the
    write process sets pointers so that the new version hides the old
    one even if it's physically there.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

Burner CD-Rom Windows XP