CPU at 100%... with no applications running

September 20, 2005 1:23:01 PM

My computer is acting up.. right after i finish starting up, before I even
launch an application, the cursor will show a flickering hour glass (like
it's processing something), however nothing is running. And when I do try to
launch an application (something as simple as IE) it takes forever to load. I
clicked "control-alt-delete" to see my task bar -- it shows no tasks being
performed, but on the performance tab it shows CPU at 100%. I thought maybe I
had a virus, so I did a scan using Trend Micro PC-cillin, but no viruses were
detected. I'm at a loss... I just bought this computer 5 months ago, and it's
already giving my headaches.

Help please... thanks!
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 1:26:03 PM

Click on the Processes tab in Task Manager to see what process is consuming
your CPU - it may not read 100%, but it should be a large percentage. Once
you've determined which process is causing it, it should be a simple matter
to find a fix.

- John

"rjg1130" wrote:

> My computer is acting up.. right after i finish starting up, before I even
> launch an application, the cursor will show a flickering hour glass (like
> it's processing something), however nothing is running. And when I do try to
> launch an application (something as simple as IE) it takes forever to load. I
> clicked "control-alt-delete" to see my task bar -- it shows no tasks being
> performed, but on the performance tab it shows CPU at 100%. I thought maybe I
> had a virus, so I did a scan using Trend Micro PC-cillin, but no viruses were
> detected. I'm at a loss... I just bought this computer 5 months ago, and it's
> already giving my headaches.
>
> Help please... thanks!
September 20, 2005 3:06:47 PM

"rjg1130" <rjg1130@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

|>My computer is acting up.. right after i finish starting up, before I even
|>launch an application, the cursor will show a flickering hour glass (like
|>it's processing something), however nothing is running. And when I do try to
|>launch an application (something as simple as IE) it takes forever to load. I
|>clicked "control-alt-delete" to see my task bar -- it shows no tasks being
|>performed, but on the performance tab it shows CPU at 100%. I thought maybe I
|>had a virus, so I did a scan using Trend Micro PC-cillin, but no viruses were
|>detected. I'm at a loss... I just bought this computer 5 months ago, and it's
|>already giving my headaches.

Download and run Process explorer
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.h...
Much better than the task manager

Double clicking on a process will let you view it's image and where to
start.

September 20, 2005 4:02:15 PM

In news:F606F435-A125-4C34-93F7-A14298414DAB@microsoft.com,
rjg1130 <rjg1130@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> My computer is acting up.. right after i finish starting up,
> before I
> even launch an application, the cursor will show a flickering
> hour
> glass (like it's processing something), however nothing is
> running.
> And when I do try to launch an application (something as simple
> as
> IE) it takes forever to load. I clicked "control-alt-delete" to
> see
> my task bar -- it shows no tasks being performed, but on the
> performance tab it shows CPU at 100%. I thought maybe I had a
> virus,
> so I did a scan using Trend Micro PC-cillin, but no viruses
> were
> detected. I'm at a loss... I just bought this computer 5 months
> ago,
> and it's already giving my headaches.

You may not have a virus, but you may have spyware running. Which
anti-spyware programs do you use and do you keep them current?

Please reply to the newsgroup
September 20, 2005 4:09:05 PM

i get this problem too every so often, when i do a process check. Its the
process System thats taking up all the CPU... and this happens when i leave
the computer sitting idle. When im working on it, this doesn't happen as
often. Also, done a virus check, there are no viruses detected. I run a
PC-cillin antivirus, but i also did a similar check using the antivirus
applications avaliable from Mcfee
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 8:55:59 PM

"rjg1130" <rjg1130@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer is acting up.. right after i finish starting up, before I even
> launch an application, the cursor will show a flickering hour glass (like
> it's processing something), however nothing is running. And when I do try
> launch an application (something as simple as IE) it takes forever to
load. I
> clicked "control-alt-delete" to see my task bar -- it shows no tasks being
> performed, but on the performance tab it shows CPU at 100%. I thought
maybe I
> had a virus, so I did a scan using Trend Micro PC-cillin, but no viruses
were
> detected. I'm at a loss... I just bought this computer 5 months ago, and
it's
> already giving my headaches.
>
> Help please... thanks!

I am having the same problem with CPU usage at 100%. I believe this is the
aftermath of the Zotob worm.

In my case, CPU usage at 100% occurs sporadically when the following apps
are running: screen saver, Internet Explorer 6, Zone Alarm, event viewer,
DX diagnostic tool, Windows Media Player and others that I have not detected
yet.

The effect of the worm can be stopped by restarting the computer, however,
after running for a while, the problem returns. On the other hand, my
computer refuse to shutdown that made me think that the authors of the Zotob
worm knew that the worm can be made temporarily benign by shutting down the
computer.

I am anticipating a breakdown of one of my hardwares. It could be my video
card this time.

Beside event error 407, I am now getting event error 1000 which I labeled as
"The user is a moron error."

According to CNET news, Microsoft has no comment on these kind of problems.

Orinello
September 20, 2005 9:40:18 PM

"Orin Oríg" <lusterlux@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "rjg1130" <rjg1130@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My computer is acting up.. right after i finish starting up, before I
>> even
>> launch an application, the cursor will show a flickering hour glass (like
>> it's processing something), however nothing is running. And when I do try
>> launch an application (something as simple as IE) it takes forever to
> load. I
>> clicked "control-alt-delete" to see my task bar -- it shows no tasks
>> being
>> performed, but on the performance tab it shows CPU at 100%. I thought
> maybe I
>> had a virus, so I did a scan using Trend Micro PC-cillin, but no viruses
> were
>> detected. I'm at a loss... I just bought this computer 5 months ago, and
> it's
>> already giving my headaches.
>>
>> Help please... thanks!
>

> I am having the same problem with CPU usage at 100%. I believe this is
> the
> aftermath of the Zotob worm.
>
> In my case, CPU usage at 100% occurs sporadically when the following apps
> are running: screen saver, Internet Explorer 6, Zone Alarm, event viewer,
> DX diagnostic tool, Windows Media Player and others that I have not
> detected
> yet.
>
> The effect of the worm can be stopped by restarting the computer, however,
> after running for a while, the problem returns. On the other hand, my
> computer refuse to shutdown that made me think that the authors of the
> Zotob
> worm knew that the worm can be made temporarily benign by shutting down
> the
> computer.
>
> I am anticipating a breakdown of one of my hardwares. It could be my
> video
> card this time.
>
> Beside event error 407, I am now getting event error 1000 which I labeled
> as
> "The user is a moron error."
>
> According to CNET news, Microsoft has no comment on these kind of
> problems.
>

> Orinello

Same exact problem here!
The only way to get around it for awhile is to restart, but as mentioned
above it returns.
MVP's to the rescuce! PLEASE!
September 20, 2005 9:40:19 PM

"paul" <paul@nowhere.com> wrote:

|>"Orin Oríg" <lusterlux@earthlink.net> wrote in message
|>>
|>> "rjg1130" <rjg1130@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|>> load. I
|>> maybe I
|>> were
|>> it's

|>> I am having the same problem with CPU usage at 100%. I believe this is
|>> the
|>> aftermath of the Zotob worm.
|>>
|>> In my case, CPU usage at 100% occurs sporadically when the following apps
|>> are running: screen saver, Internet Explorer 6, Zone Alarm, event viewer,
|>> DX diagnostic tool, Windows Media Player and others that I have not
|>> detected
|>> yet.
|>>
|>> The effect of the worm can be stopped by restarting the computer, however,
|>> after running for a while, the problem returns. On the other hand, my
|>> computer refuse to shutdown that made me think that the authors of the
|>> Zotob
|>> worm knew that the worm can be made temporarily benign by shutting down
|>> the
|>> computer.
|>>
|>> I am anticipating a breakdown of one of my hardwares. It could be my
|>> video
|>> card this time.
|>>
|>> Beside event error 407, I am now getting event error 1000 which I labeled
|>> as
|>> "The user is a moron error."
|>>
|>> According to CNET news, Microsoft has no comment on these kind of
|>> problems.
|>>

|>> Orinello
|>>

|>Same exact problem here!

Finally some honesty, very few people will admit to the "The user is a
moron error."

|>The only way to get around it for awhile is to restart, but as mentioned
|>above it returns.
|>MVP's to the rescuce! PLEASE!

September 20, 2005 10:38:51 PM

In Task Manager make sure that the user of the CPU is not System Idle as
when this is 99% it means that actual processes running are only 1%.

Viruses are only part of security. What internet security (firewall)
programme are you
using?

What are you doing with regard to removing spyware?

You need to always have up to date virus definitions. A free anti-virus
programme:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

Also the Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta is considerably better than it was
at first:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/defaul...

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"rjg1130" <rjg1130@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer is acting up.. right after i finish starting up, before I
> even
> launch an application, the cursor will show a flickering hour glass
> (like
> it's processing something), however nothing is running. And when I do
> try to
> launch an application (something as simple as IE) it takes forever to
> load. I
> clicked "control-alt-delete" to see my task bar -- it shows no tasks
> being
> performed, but on the performance tab it shows CPU at 100%. I thought
> maybe I
> had a virus, so I did a scan using Trend Micro PC-cillin, but no
> viruses were
> detected. I'm at a loss... I just bought this computer 5 months ago,
> and it's
> already giving my headaches.
>
> Help please... thanks!
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 10:59:13 PM

What anti-virus programme is installed and are virus definitions up to
date?

The link which follows gives access to a Zotob removal tool:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

> [...]

> detected
> yet.
>
> The effect of the worm can be stopped by restarting the computer,
> however,
> after running for a while, the problem returns. On the other hand, my
> computer refuse to shutdown that made me think that the authors of the
> Zotob
> worm knew that the worm can be made temporarily benign by shutting
> down the
> computer.
>
> I am anticipating a breakdown of one of my hardwares. It could be my
> video
> card this time.
>
> Beside event error 407, I am now getting event error 1000 which I
> labeled as
> "The user is a moron error."
>
> According to CNET news, Microsoft has no comment on these kind of

September 20, 2005 11:13:30 PM

"Bummer" <Bummer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i get this problem too every so often, when i do a process check. Its the
> process System thats taking up all the CPU... and this happens when i
> leave
> the computer sitting idle. When im working on it, this doesn't happen as
> often. Also, done a virus check, there are no viruses detected. I run a
> PC-cillin antivirus, but i also did a similar check using the antivirus
> applications avaliable from Mcfee

When I get this problem here the culprit is usually EXPLORER.EXE
September 20, 2005 11:56:30 PM

"paul" <paul@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "Bummer" <Bummer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>i get this problem too every so often, when i do a process check. Its the
>> process System thats taking up all the CPU... and this happens when i
>> leave
>> the computer sitting idle. When im working on it, this doesn't happen as
>> often. Also, done a virus check, there are no viruses detected. I run a
>> PC-cillin antivirus, but i also did a similar check using the antivirus
>> applications avaliable from Mcfee
>

> When I get this problem here the culprit is usually EXPLORER.EXE
I had previously run Spybot S&D, AdAware, and Norton AV
Just ran MS AntiSpy, and it found a severe threat the others didn't
Let's see if this solves the problem...
!