Hi

Just had a laptop user registry completly go bad. The user had admin
rights but did not have rights to the keys left behind and a lot of the
registry was missing. I am working on fixing this by moving over the
registry from another profile.

Any idea what causes this?

Also is there a way to backup the registry without requiring user input
or getting a prompt for a floppy? I know NT backup updates the repair
directory but last time i tried it seemed like also had to have a
floppy. I would like to give the users an icon they could click and just
have it work or schedule it.

Thanks

Will

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:46:12 -0500 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Will Kubly favored us with...
> Just had a laptop user registry completly go bad. The user had admin
> rights but did not have rights to the keys left behind and a lot of the
> registry was missing. I am working on fixing this by moving over the
> registry from another profile.

It may be too late now, but the next time this happens, there are
two less invasive things you can do.

(1) Assuming you were able to boot, open up System Restore and use
the latest or next-to-latest restore point.

(2) If Windows won't boot, or if you have no restore points, then
go into the boot sequence and press F8 quickly and repeatedly until
you get a screen with boot options. Pick "Last Known Good
Configuration", and this will almost certainly restore the
Registry.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46