Downgrading to Win 7

I am trying to downgrade from windows 8 that came in my nice shiny new laptop... needless to say I want win 7 back.

So got my copy of win 7 and put the disk in and its complaining that the disk is being blocked by security settings, research has showed this to be the UEFI settings, I switched the bios over to legacy and windows 7 disk worked.

however when I go to install win 7 64 on the HDD it says it can not due to the disk being GPT format, research showed that this format only works with UEFI...

only solution I have found is to delete all partitions and format the entire drive.

while I dislike windows 8, I dont want to delete the OEM backup partitions in case I ever have to send the laptop back or I decide to sell it on and can sell it with windows 8 (damn M$ and not giving win disk or S/N)

is there any option to keep the backup partitions and run win 7, is there a way to install a security license for win 7 for UEFI? or would I need to make a disk image and re-load the image when (if) I want win 8 back.
2 answers Last reply
More about downgrading
  1. When you say the disk is blocked by UEFI settings, what exactly do you mean? At what stage does the error occur and what is the message?

Windows 8 certified PCs come with the "secure boot" feature in the EFI; is there an option to disable secure boot? The only way you'll get a secure boot license for Windows 7 is is MS releases one, which I don't see them doing at this point.
  2. I changed the boot sequance to boot from disk first, when it loads the disk it gives the message "ATAPI CDROM: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT51N has been blocked by the current security policy"

in the bios it gives me 2 options, legacy boot or UEFI, under it has the secure boot setting that I can not change, it only changes with the change of the boot mode.

what happend to the good old days where you put a disk in and hours later you got an OS....
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 8 Windows 7