Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have purchased a computer with WinXP Home. Want to upgrade to XP Pro. Do
you recommend wiping the HD and starting over?

In news:17AC260E-D41B-4903-A88E-E0335C44ECB0@microsoft.com,
Greg <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have purchased a computer with WinXP Home. Want to upgrade
> to XP
> Pro. Do you recommend wiping the HD and starting over?

No. Do the Upgrade. The Upgrade from Home to Professional is the
easiest and most likely successful of all possible upgrades.

But backup anything you can't afford to lose first. In the
unlikely event that something goes wrong, you can always decide
to do it over again as a clean installation.

Make sure you buy the Upgrade version, not an OEM version, since
an OEM version can't do an upgrade.

But are you sure you want to do this? Are you aware that XP Home
and Professional are identical except that Professional includes
a few features (mostly related to security and networking)
missing from Home? Most home users don't need and would never use
these extra features and will see no benefits by upgrading.
For details go to

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
connections, and Home only five.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Please reply to the newsgroup

No, put the CD in and choose upgrade.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have purchased a computer with WinXP Home. Want to upgrade to XP Pro.
>Do
> you recommend wiping the HD and starting over?

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:59:35 -0700, "Ken Blake"
<kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>Make sure you buy the Upgrade version, not an OEM version, since
>an OEM version can't do an upgrade.
>
>But are you sure you want to do this? Are you aware that XP Home
>and Professional are identical except that Professional includes
>a few features (mostly related to security and networking)

I did this once, partially because I didn't want the OEM version. I
also had an extra copy and didn't want to replace the computer that
just bit the dust, so figured what the heck.

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:01:01 -0700 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Greg favored us with...
> I have purchased a computer with WinXP Home. Want to upgrade to XP Pro.

Why?

There's this common perception that Pro is better than Home, but
the great majority of users don't need the features that are in Pro
but not Home. (Backup isn't in Home by default but can be
installed.)

Maybe there's some reason you actually need Pro, but think
carefully before you make the switch.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks fellas for the info. Every computer I have at home and work have Pro
on them anyway. I remember a computer tech one time telling me that Pro is
better especially if you network which I have a small one at home.

"Stan Brown" wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:01:01 -0700 in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Greg favored us with...
> > I have purchased a computer with WinXP Home. Want to upgrade to XP Pro.
>
> Why?
>
> There's this common perception that Pro is better than Home, but
> the great majority of users don't need the features that are in Pro
> but not Home. (Backup isn't in Home by default but can be
> installed.)
>
> Maybe there's some reason you actually need Pro, but think
> carefully before you make the switch.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
> variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
> evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
> where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
> --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

"=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

On the networking side, Pro offers connection to a domain, and 10
connections instead of 5. If all you have is the typical small home
network, Home is fine.

> Thanks fellas for the info. Every computer I have at home and work
> have Pro on them anyway. I remember a computer tech one time telling
> me that Pro is better especially if you network which I have a small
> one at home.
>
> "Stan Brown" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:01:01 -0700 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Greg favored us with...
>> > I have purchased a computer with WinXP Home. Want to upgrade to XP
>> > Pro.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> There's this common perception that Pro is better than Home, but
>> the great majority of users don't need the features that are in Pro
>> but not Home. (Backup isn't in Home by default but can be
>> installed.)
>>
>> Maybe there's some reason you actually need Pro, but think
>> carefully before you make the switch.
>>
>> --
>> Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
>> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
>> "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
>> variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
>> evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
>> where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
>> --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

Gordon

Greg wrote:
> I have purchased a computer with WinXP Home. Want to upgrade to XP
> Pro. Do you recommend wiping the HD and starting over?

Do you actually /need/ to upgrade to Pro? Home is exactly the same as Pro
with the exception of a few networking and security functions and the
ability to have 10 concurrent connections to one machine as opposed to
Home's 5.