Replacing noisy fan

We have a 5-year old Gateway computer, a G6-450. It has a PII
processor at 450Mhz, 384MB of RAM, 13.5GB hard drive. It came preinstalled
with Windows 98FE, but was upgraded to Windows Millennium (ME) last August.
Considering its age, the computer works fairly well. However, it is quite
noisy. I assume that is the fan?

While browsing thru retail stores, I have noticed PC replacement fans
for relatively low prices. I don't like to tinker inside computers, but the
thought of making the G6-450 quieter is very tempting. Is replacing a PC
fan a simple process, or is there more to it? Also, is there a chance the
PC replacement fan I purchase won't work on my Gateway? For example, here
is one fan I saw at BestBuy recently:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1065169792355&skuId=6056457&type=product

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

I wouldn't assume anything. You need to isolate the noise before replacing
anything. Maybe a simple cleaning will help quiet it some.