Sign in with
Your question

Having issues with display drivers (Black screen of death)

Tags:
December 2, 2012 10:28:14 PM

So I am out of ideas about this problem with my 3.5yr old desktop so here are the specs:

Chipset:Core i-7 920 (not overclocked)
Mobo: Asus P6t Deluxe V2
Mem: Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz <-----had the ram for about a year now
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GTX660 Ti Sucperclocked <---- Had this for about a month now and its my newest bit of hardware in my system
PSU: Corsair 850w
HDD: 500GB seagate(vist is on this one) 1.5TB Seagate (windows 7 is on this one)

So last night I noticed that the image on my monitor looked pixelated and didn't think anything of it and put it to sleep and it froze so I turned it off (should have thought more of it but beer may or may not have clouded my judgement at the moment :pt1cable:  ) . The next day I tried to start the computer and nothing. I would get the bios splash page and it would not let me execute anything in the BIOS menu. I then opened the case and took everything but one ram stick out. I tried to boot but didn't get the beep from the system saying there was no ram. At this point I started to do some quick checks and looked to see if everything was plugged in correctly to my desktop and after disconnecting everything but one of my two monitors, the mouse and keyboard I finally got it to boot. It gave me a screen with the notice that there was an problem with the system not being able to hibernate. I pressed continue and it proceeded to boot but once the windows logo came up I got a black screen with a cursor. I then proceeded to boot in safe mode and fortunately it worked.

At this point I started to check my display drivers and tried to uninstall and reinstall my nvidia drivers but this still didn't work. I have two hard drives and vista is installed in one and windows is on the second. So I tried to boot in to vista and it worked. I was able to install the nvidia drivers. Tried the repair utilities off the windows 7 boot CD and tried to run an scf scan but to no avail.

After reading similar issues and trying their fixes I am wondering weather its just a windows 7 problem having booted vista discredits possible hardware failures? I am out of ideas here so any input would be great.
!