tastim

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2002
I just purchased a XP 2500+ Barton, and a ASUS A7N8X-X, along with 2 512mb sticks of Corsair Value Select PC3200 RAM.

Got everthing all hooked up and set up... and luckily, the system POSTed fine the very first time (counted 1048 ram, with a single beep, detected IDE drives, etc.)... however, once POST completes, right before the Windows XP loading splash screen would normally come up, a quick blue screen flashes.... but flashes so quickly, I can not read it.... then the system reboots.... this continues until I finally do a hard system shutdown.

Aside from this problem, I have another question... the CPU FSB is 333mhz, the RAM runs at 400mhz... on my XP 2500, what should the CPU Frequency and Multiplier settings be at? If I leave them at default, it sets itself to 100mhz frequency and 11x multiplier (and no, the system won't boot up with those settings either)....

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Did you do a fresh install of windows for the new board? You will need to do so.

As for the FSB, set it to 166MHz and 11x multiplier until you have a clean Windows up and running

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you instal a new motherboard with a different chipset, you'll often need to, at minimum, perform a repair installation of XP. But you'll likely get better results doing a clean instal.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
How often does repair work for you?? It's never worked for me (then again, I've only switched chipsets twice)....

Also, when did you become Master Historian??

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

tastim

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2002
Yeah... was hoping that wasn't the solution... but already done. Works perfectly. Thanks guys.

It seems I have received an "unlocked" CPU from Newegg... how far can you typically OC these 2500s with a stock (retail) heatsink/fan?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Repair worked for me all 3 times under XP. You have to remember that I use 98SE on older systems, so I don't have reason to swap boards under XP very often.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
You have a chip that lets you change the multiplier? You are very lucky. Most people have been able to run the xp2500+ at 2.2 with a fsb of 200, and the stock multiplier. It is always a question of trial and error.
Since it's getting to be summer (at least in the northern hemisphere, Ozy's please dont take offense) make sure you have a good hsf. The vantec aeroflow is a minimum.

tastim

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2002
Just an update... I am now running at 200mhz frequency and 11.0x multiplier... CPU idles at 38-39 celsius... and I'm using the stock heatsink/fan with the thermal compound AMD put on there :)

Also... ASUS's fan sensor/scaling feature has got to be one of the best mobo features I've seen in a long time... went from a 7200rpm fan that sounded like a 747 to a 3200ish rpm fan that barely makes a whisper :)

Thanks for the input guys... I am quite happy!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tastim on 06/19/04 09:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>