Windows 7 size

Knight_91

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
How big is Windows 7 64-bit? I bought a downloadable version off of Ebay and its a 3gb iso file. This is the 64-bit version only however. I copied it and extracted and its extracts to a little over 6gb. I didn't just get screwed over did I?

Solution
to answer your question, yes the ISO should be right around 3 gigs. Do as sminlal says and burn the ISO image directly to disc. Then your DVD will be ready as an install disc.

Knight_91

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010

Ya I know how many Bytes it is. I was just wondering if that is the correct size? And I'm going to get a 4.8gb blank disc and burn the files to it using nero

The ISO file is a sector-by-sector image of what goes onto the DVD. In order to work as a Windows install disc, the DVD needs to be bootable, and the sectors that contain the boot information are not part of any of the files on the disc.

In theory you could copy all the individual files back onto a DVD and then use some special tools to make it bootable, but it's just a whole lot simpler to burn the ISO image itself to the DVD using the "image" option.

Knight_91

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010

Ya ok cool. I know how ISOs' work. Was just a little nervous bout this one. Thanks 4 replying!

well, i probably supposed to have mentioned that is the size of my legal Windows 7 64bit iso image