Did i get duped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starlight

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Are all UPC codes the same???

Cuz I bought a laptop, checked it out, I said umm can you get another this looked open. They brought it in and it matched the UPC on my receipt. They didnt rering it up, so are all upc codes the same or did they just act like they switched lap tops? :(

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
upcs for the same product are the same......duh.

Yes, but product specs may change over time for a particular model and still use the same UPC. If the guy got his exchanged on site the same day, bets are its the same, but to put his mind at ease I would recommend that he downloads Everest home edition and check the specs on his receipt to the results of Everest. Maybe they sold him a laptop that didn't match the actual advertised specs, the UPC wouldn't tell you that.

UPC = Universal Product Code. All identical products will have the same UPC and the same Model number. The number that changes is the Serial # which is unique for each manufactured part. This is done for Warranty purposes and for traceability purposes (for product recalls). Manufacturers have their own philosophy and practices regarding this aspect.

There is one instance that I know of, where product revisions (complete product change) were done and the UPC and Part # were not changed. This is a source of confusion to the consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.