Market share?

poncho

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
Was just wondering if any one had read any articles that gave an indication as to the current AMD vs Intel market share and AMD's profit performance.

AMD's market share/profits peaked way back when the Thunderbird tamed the P3, but then went on a steady slide downwards as the P4 dominated the bargain AthlonXP line.
Directly preceding the release of the Opteron and Athlon64 lines last year, AMD had been haemorrhaging so much cash some dooms dayers where predicting that if they flopped AMD would go under.
After a measured start they seem to be gathering pace and have regained the performance crown from Intel. Just wondering if that was translating into $$$$$$$ for AMD.

Stupid bug.......you go squish now!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Intel's recent fo-pa's can't hurt AMD any. The 775 CPU's don't look like anything I would consider at this point unless I needed a new furnace! :lol:

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>Directly preceding the release of the Opteron and Athlon64
>lines last year, AMD had been haemorrhaging so much cash
>some dooms dayers where predicting that if they flopped AMD
>would go under.

You didn't have to be a dooms dayer to predict that, AMD's financial situation was very bad indeed..

>After a measured start they seem to be gathering pace and
>have regained the performance crown from Intel. Just
>wondering if that was translating into $$$$$$$ for AMD.

Well, afaik their marketshare has been mostly stable, ASPs have been up, and they have posted 2 consecutive profitable quarters, -not so much because of K8 yet, mostly by cost cutting and their flash business. Opteron and A64 combined, so far had a neglectable impact on AMD's financial (or marketshare) results. Expect third and fourth quarter results to be somewhat more telling about how K8 is working out for them.

>Just wondering if that was translating into $$$$$$$ for
>AMD.

I'm sure it will, but not before K8's go mainstream, or tier one vendors have been offering opterons for more than a few weeks.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

endyen

Splendid
Many people are buying xp chips because A64 has the crown. Go figure. The crown holder makes better chips? No, but they do make better low end chips, and people have more faith, and awareness because of the A64s. Having the whole market on an upswing after the recent "downturn" helps a lot as well.