What do you guys think of intel 775 Cpus?

Unseen

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Just wondering what you guys think of new intel cpus that just came. Personally, I don't think they are that great at all. Are even worth buying right now for anyone? Seems like better to wait for DDR2 and PCIe vid cards to mature...

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
In fact, prescotts are not only CPU. They're multifunction device. Beside working as CPU, prescott will work as room heater, toaster oven etc.

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

Tavelkyosoba

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
yeah i think the incentive to buy intel is COMPLETELY gone with this round. not only are they more expensive(like always), they consume more power and make your house friggin hot. And on top of that, they dont even perform as well as that athlon 64's that are priced lower, consume less power and DONT make you into a molten ball of wax.

if these things run as hot as we think they do...i just hope the government bans them for promoting global warming.

"I see" said the blind man to his deaf dog

Tavelkyosoba

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
and the new pin layout...thats just a dumb idea. its easy to treat a piece of metal thats a square inch like your grandmothers ashes than it is to do the same for a motherboard.

chips are small=easy to protect like own child
motherboards are not small=not easy to protect like own child

"I see" said the blind man to his deaf dog

endyen

Splendid
I dare anyone to show me a socket 775 3.4 or 3.6 (other than engineering sample) that runs hot.
What really supprises is how little attention the new boards and chips are getting. They are worth it.

xboxizdope

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2004
I think the metal design looks weird, kinda 80's-ish, but as far as performance goes I haven't read anything particularly great. I think Intel just needs some time to work out the kinks on the new chips, then they'll be worth spending the dough on.

I personally would either stick with the northwood design,(that's what I did), or just wait a year for all the new tech stuff like PCI-e, DDR2, and maybe even SATA 2 to become more widely used.

-----------------------------------------------
Enter Sig "Here"

miniklobb

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
they seem like no big news just a marketing gimick cause they look different and have a new socket as for pci-e and ddr2 it is gonna have to be added sometime but i think they are trying to hard to ge it out now befor developing thier product enough

P4 2.8c
Seagate 160g 7200rpm 8mb cache
2x256 Crucial PC3200
Radeon 9800pro 128
Asus P4P800

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That pin layout not bad. It better then what it was before.. Where if you accidently bend or brake the pin. You have to send a intel or amd for a replacement of a chip.

And how many clumsly people have you seen.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I think LGA 775 is a completely stupid idea. Socket 775 would be better. LGA costs more than socket, so mobos are costlier to produce. And in case of bent pins, CPU replacement is easier and quicker than mobo replacement.

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I think those chips are pretty damn hot ! I'm surprised no one has yet registered the "IntelMeltDown" handle :)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Have you seen the Intel reference HeatSink/Fan? It's so HUGE, this confirm that the LGA775 Prescott are running hot! I'm sure BOXED Intel will be sold for a premium, they will have an overcharge because of the box size. :smile:

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
That pin layout not bad. It better then what it was before.. Where if you accidently bend or brake the pin. You have to send a intel or amd for a replacement of a chip.
Pin breaks is mostly "newbie errors" and I better like changeing one CPU than changing the whole MB because the socket is messed up.

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Just wondering what you guys think of new intel cpus that just came.
First, I'm really surprised... No one here seems to talk about it! When I saw the reviews in the beginning of the week, I thought I would have to read through a ton of threads about the NEW Intel Platform! But, we barely hear words about it.

Does this mean the enthousiats community is really disapointed or pissed off?

Personnally, I found that some features are nice, I like the RAID matrice stuff and the PCI-EXPRESS support. For the rest, nothing impressive : huge heatsink, controversial socket design, costly DDR2 ram, new form factor, etc...

People complained about AMD CPU pricing when they launched Socket939. I do really think that most complainers should apoogize today. Either AMD knew that the LGA775 would not be impressive or they guessed well!

By the end of the summer, when P4E/LGA775 will be widely available and AMD64 chipsets will support PCI-EXPRESS. The AMD64 platform will surely lead in terms of overall price and performance.

And wait... AMD still have one card left : 90nm AMD64 will probably hit store shelf at 2.6/2.8GHz in Q3, these will kick the Intel butt! :smile:

NOTE : Internal Intel staff are probably under pressure to get the company back on track!

--

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
Well i think one thing that happened was that there was alot of drum beating about this upcoming change by intel that was suppose to change the war with amd, which it did not. it brought nothing in performance, which might have shocked some people.

the other thing id like to point out is that the enthusiast community might be taking the new releases hard, becuase intel is stepping up the fight to restrict overclocking and tuning of thier chips and chipsets, which is a slap in the face of the enthusiasts. intel has never been openly friendly to this segment, and now it seems they really would like to keep those types of users out of thier systems. amd on the other hand hasnt done nearly that much to hinder enthusiasts, only now have they locked some multipliers, but they still keep a line of cpus that are unlocked.

intel just doesnt seem to like the whole overclocker's segment, which will hurt them some. it certainly wont kill them, but it will create a rift and one thing they should learn is that enthusiasts are often the people that propel products to the masses, spreading the word about something and making it popular.

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Another blow Intel took was having Tejas scrapped for heat issues. I know the new socket 775's are hot, think about how bad Tejas was that they scrapped it. I think it was also going to draw like 120-140 watts just for the proc. Imagine running one of those with your NVidia leaf blower in the same case, better grab your ass a 550 PSU for that.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
> I think it was also going to draw like 120-140 watts just
>for the proc

150W is what I heard. take it fwiw.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
Once again I will join the fray and offer my newbie opinion to all you hardcore computer professionals, overclockers and the like. :>)

From what I have read on lately on Tom's also from alot of you guys discussing it here, it seemed to me the pin array *looks* more solid and sensible than I imagined. I can see how if the pins were flimsly or broke easily that would be a major deal for the motherboard makers. However, from looking at the new article:

<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040619/socket_775-04.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040619/socket_775-04.html</A>

<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040619/socket_775-12.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040619/socket_775-12.html</A>

as well as reading the comments the "land grid array" seems to make a bit more sense to me now:

"LGA (Land Grid Array) technology comes from the high-end server arena and allows for higher pin densities as well as very consistent electrical and mechanical characteristics. Less force needs to be applied in order to secure physical contact. According to an Intel PR manager, the main reason for introducing LGA 775 was the larger pin count, which makes it easier to supply power to future processors. Although Tejas has gone, we can be fairly sure that future CPUs will require a decent amount of power - particularly if you think dual core."

"While the pins have been part of the CPU before, they are now relocated to the socket. Most of Taiwan's motherboard makers are afraid that their motherboard return rates may skyrocket due to damaged LGA 775 sockets. Of course they would have to answer for that type of damage in some way. Considering the ongoing price war between Asus and most of the smaller manufacturers, costs will become a matter of life or death."

from the same article. Also:

"It is not difficult to handle an LGA 775 motherboard and processor with care, as long as you keep a few things in mind. Try to avoid touching the underside of the processor as well as the pins inside the socket. Make sure you insert and remove the processor without any insertion or removal angle. There are two notches in the upper and lower center of the frame (see third image on the next page) that allow your fingers to grab the processor without having to fumble around in any way."

"When you close the socket frame, make sure that the processor is inserted properly, and check that pressure is applied equally to both sides of the chip before locking down the lever. You're done!"

and furthermore:

" Everybody is complaining about the new socket being fragile, and MSI decided to do something about it. G52-M7001X3 is the code name for a CPU insertion tool that will be included with all MSI LGA 775 motherboards. It's an interesting add-on, but careful users will find it unnecessary."

From looking at the picture the pins actually seem thicker and sturdier than the ones on the chips currently. It still could be an annoying problem for some motherboard manufacturers if people try to put the cpus on with a hammer and duct tape, but it doesn't look like it will be nearly the issue I had invisioned when reading about it. Also, perhaps for some of you techs who make a living assembling computers the "hysteria" about it might mean less people want to do it yourself. Just a thought.
--------------
From reading that article it looks like the pin array is the least of the worries with the new platform. I would think before they sent samples to Tom's they would have worked some more of the kinks out. At the very least they should package the cpu with a fan that will cool the chip. That seems like a glaring newbie error in my book. I am sure it was a rush to get it out, but still that would have been a simple easy remedy to one of the concerns the Tom's review voiced. On the other hand I imagine, due to the prestige of Tom's testing reputation, that some of the feedback will be applied to production. Indeed it appears to me that the whole thing is still somewhat in development:
"This article was the biggest project THG has ever done, the cope of which is analogous to Intel's ambitions with its eye popping number of new features. Considering the amount of snafus that arose over the course of last week, I personally would say that Intel over extended itself by insisting on the platform launch at this very moment. Four more weeks could have ensured that all components were available. "

As far as overclocking goes I can see why they wouldn't want people to overclock if it runs that hot stock. Something I read in the article seems to indicate to me that perhaps the current design is approaching "maximum warp" anyway:
"The new top model will be the Pentium 4 Processor 560, which runs at 3.6 GHz. Four other versions, with model names 550 to 520, run at 3.4, 3.2, 3.0 and 2.8 GHz. While the TDP was 103 °C for the socket 478 Pentium 4 Prescott at 3.4 GHz, the maximum power output now will be 115 W. As a result, there's not much overclocking margin with the top models. More than ever, you should keep a close eye on the thermal parameters if you plan to go for a LGA 775 machine."

I certainly wouldn't buy any of this stuff, but then again I never would buy the brand spanking new technology. I think it is interesting how ddr 2 has been out for a bit with presumably nothing to run it on in anticipation of this release. It occurs to me that as amd has the jump on advancing 64 bit intel has made the jump in advancing several other new techs. It seems all pretty hypothetical to me at this point but I suppose they have a detailed roadmap of how they plan to develop the tech. On the one hand one company gets the jump and has their patents on that "path" on the other hand the other company can sit back and see what they did wrong. I think it is interesting to see how the two companies develop their strategies.

I imagine I will get a couple "thank you captain obvious comments." :>)

AMDmax

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Good review :)
I agree with alot of the technology being pressed forth by intel, as it is imperative to breaking the 5 ghz margin in the future...the new pin configuration allows for shorter pins and ultimatley the chipspeedwill increase with ramped up clock speeds..the chip itself is the exact same archetecture as the previous prescots and unfortunately the deeper pipe\better branch prediction combo does nothing to solve intels gaming woes, only renforces the problem. This will change with the teja's hopefully :) The most important thing about this chip however is the somewhat LOCKED FSB.. this is a smack in the face to overclockers in general pinning us to an unacceptable 10% increase in system speed. The uncapped fsb was one thing that intel had going for itself in the oc arena. Most sites do not cover this but for ocrs this is extremley important
for more info check out this link

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1049/index02.asp

As far as the fsb lock, i personaly hope that amd does not follow suite. they have already limited fsb increse and i dont see whats stopping them. This could pottentialy hurt oc'ing in a big way.
as far as the socket itself, I think that it has bright potential in the future, but intel needs to take a look at the high end market as well as the masses.

endyen

Splendid
OK so here is your first " obvious comment". The FX chips have 940 pins, so high pincount is no reason to go lga.
The "pins" on the motherboard do look large, but only because they are magnified.
The "thermal solution" for the scotty is huge. If they were any bigger, the case would have to be wider.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I totally agree! LGA seems pretty useless in a mass market product. AMD proved the world that classic pins can get the job done! And why do Intel need 775 pins? Their Prescott don't have integrated memory controller???

And there is no correlation between CPU core spedd in pinout! FSB speed might be affected to some extent by a pin design and the only way to eliminate PIN noise/interference would be to weld the CPU to the MB! :smile:

--

AMDmax

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
yea most people are like that they would judge a person based on there sn...

dude i dont care what people think thats not what the forums about... im buying the new 775 for the pci express support and ddr2..when caste latency probs are solved it will happen cross platform, people see the two and there like damn and intels marketing strategy hasnt failed yet(rambus was more of an industry flop)....this will be increadably helpfull in the future and im hopein to save on upgrades end...

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
This futureproof bullsh*t again, remember, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FUTUREPROOF COMPUTER!

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/celebgay.html" target="_new">click here now!!</A>

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/epilepsyr.shtml" target="_new">DON'T CLICK HERE!!</A>