USB or Network hard drive

Which would provide the better performance, an USB or Network external hard
drive?

We have a network in the home so a network drive would have a plus but both
computers have USB 2.0.

I have SCSI drives in my computer. I'd like to see the external drive
perform as well as the SCSI drives.

The new external drive would primarily be for backing up the two computers.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

Don Schmidt wrote:

> Which would provide the better performance, an USB or Network external hard
> drive?
>
> We have a network in the home so a network drive would have a plus but both
> computers have USB 2.0.
>
> I have SCSI drives in my computer. I'd like to see the external drive
> perform as well as the SCSI drives.
>
> The new external drive would primarily be for backing up the two computers.

Is the external hard drive going to be shared by all of the
users in the network? If this is the case and it is set up
as a file server, then that would work out OK. But remember
that all shared files should be uploaded to it. And it can be
mapped out to the other computer. (BTW, the external hard
drive can be USB, Firewire or even external SCSI.)

OTOH, if moving files is the intent and there is just one
user involved, then it would not greatly matter whether the
external hard drive is shared or not or simply moved from
one computer to the other and connected via the USB port.

"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
| Which would provide the better performance, an USB or Network external
hard
| drive?
|
| We have a network in the home so a network drive would have a plus but
both
| computers have USB 2.0.
|
| I have SCSI drives in my computer. I'd like to see the external drive
| perform as well as the SCSI drives.
|
| The new external drive would primarily be for backing up the two
computers.

| --
| Don
| Vancouver, USA

I use one of these and like it very much.

http://www.ximeta.com/products/network_drives/netdisk/index.html

It has the advantage (over shared USB drives) of not caring which computers
are on or off and isn't subject to the occasional Windows sharing
failures/conflicts that seem to crop up from time to time on home p2p
networks.

--
Doug

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.