Windows XP Home Edition

I am a new employee at a startup. The laptop given to me has Windows XP home
edition installed.

I logged in as the current owner, went to Control Panel, User Accounts and
changed the Admins name to my name.

However, when I run CMD, the default directory still shows the original
name. I've tried to rename the user directory but I get an error saying this
is a system file and cannot be moved or renamed.

I've been searching for instructions on how to change login name and
ownership to reflect myself. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks,

it will not allow you to rename the folder because the folder is required to
run the account. sorry.

"JPRICE" <JPRICE-please@donotspam-casenetinc.com> wrote in message
>I am a new employee at a startup. The laptop given to me has Windows XP
>home
> edition installed.
>
> I logged in as the current owner, went to Control Panel, User Accounts and
> changed the Admins name to my name.
>
> However, when I run CMD, the default directory still shows the original
> name. I've tried to rename the user directory but I get an error saying
> this
> is a system file and cannot be moved or renamed.
>
> I've been searching for instructions on how to change login name and
> ownership to reflect myself. Any assistance would be appreciated.
> Thanks,

Thanks. So, I created another user, granted Admin rights and then tried to
rename the first admin directories, etc. However, still the same problem.

Seems that whomever logged into the system the first time, those user
settings and directory structure cannot be modified.

Anyway to change this user to properly reflect the new admin users?

"Steven Wabik" wrote:

> it will not allow you to rename the folder because the folder is required to
> run the account. sorry.
>
> "JPRICE" <JPRICE-please@donotspam-casenetinc.com> wrote in message
> >I am a new employee at a startup. The laptop given to me has Windows XP
> >home
> > edition installed.
> >
> > I logged in as the current owner, went to Control Panel, User Accounts and
> > changed the Admins name to my name.
> >
> > However, when I run CMD, the default directory still shows the original
> > name. I've tried to rename the user directory but I get an error saying
> > this
> > is a system file and cannot be moved or renamed.
> >
> > I've been searching for instructions on how to change login name and
> > ownership to reflect myself. Any assistance would be appreciated.
> > Thanks,

To do what you're after, takes the following:

Create the account with the name you want.
Login to that account one time.

Create a Temporary account
Login to it.
From the My Computer Properties, Advanced
User Profiles, Settings copy the original profile to
one that has the name you want to use.

Login to the name you want and check your files
and settings.

Afterwards, delete the temporary account and the
original that you've just copied.
-Be Careful