Canon MP530 Demands Perfection!

Evolution_13

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I have an older canon MP530 that loves sucking up ink. I have set it to print in greyscale and in draft quality. However, it apparently insists on using it's photo black cartridge and the color cartridges to mix the ultimate, perfect shade of grey. I can't possibly have printed enough color pages to drain the color cartridges this fast.. I can think of perhaps 10 pages of color jobs in the past year. To add insult to injury, the normal quality black cartridge is sitting there *completely full* (The cartridges are transparent and I can see the ink levels, so I know I can trust the print drivers estimates)

It now constantly gives me low ink warning when I'm trying to print my draft quality greyscale pages and refuses to touch abundant ink in the normal quality black in catridge. Though it does actually print out in draft quality greyscale. The printer is plugged into a windows XP machine and shared over the network, and I print most often from my Windows 7 machine.

As I write this I'm wondering if there's some odd setting on the Machine it's hooked up to.. I'm going to go check that, in the mean time, if anyone knows how to make this printer ignore the state of the cartridges and force it to use the normal quality black instead of photo black (and color) I'd apprectiate it! Thanks!

Evolution_13

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Update:

I've made sure the printer preferences on both machines match. Greyscale, draft quality, no reason at all to use color or photo black. It still can't live without those color cartridges!