Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hey guys, any help would be much appreciated here.... I have just built a
computer with a Pioneer DVDRW drive, Windows XP Home installs fine but then
when I actually get in to Windows it fails to read CDs, unless I am in Safe
Mode, any ideas?(as this computer is urgently needed for university!!)
Thanks.
Tom.

"Tom" wrote:

> Hey guys, any help would be much appreciated here.... I have just built a
> computer with a Pioneer DVDRW drive, Windows XP Home installs fine but then
> when I actually get in to Windows it fails to read CDs, unless I am in Safe
> Mode, any ideas?(as this computer is urgently needed for university!!)
> Thanks.

Assuming that you are talking about the same CDs in both cases, it sounds
like something is loading at XP startup that is interfering with normal CD
reading. Is it failing to read CD-R/CD-RW, factory pressed CDs (shrink-wrap)
or both? What error do you get?

You might experiment with startup items in msconfig, disabling anything that
seems to be tied in with dvd or cd.