Palm m130 and Web Browsers

December 10, 2004 6:32:23 PM

I am using Blazer on an m130 and Mac OS10.3. It works great except when
I hit a site with Javascript. I assume I can't run Desktop 5 making it
impossible to use Palm WebPro 3. Is their any solution short of buying
a ARM type Palm?

More about : palm m130 web browsers

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 5:05:21 AM

Hi there,

Maybe some of the information on my web page about Palm Pilot web
browers will be helpful to you here:

http://sam.lipoff.org/palmpilot/webbrowsers.html

Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to update this page recently, so
it has grown a bit out of date, but this actually might work in your
favor, because while some of these older browsers might not support
javascript, they might (ironically) work better with pages that use
javascript because they will ignore it completely. Unless it's a very
specialized application that really does need to be done exclusively
with javascript, no ordinary webpage should rely on javascripts to be
usable.

There are also some web browsers that do have some javascript support.
For your Palm, I believe that Xiino, the successor to the fabled
PalmScape browser, will work. Although it's not offered any more you
can still download the trial version from Xiino:

http://www.ilinx.co.jp/download/pub/Xiino_212J_Trial.zi...

Okay, so the program is in Japanese, but even if you can't read kana,
you can probably figure out how it works. You can also try an English
version of this program, although it may or may not support javascript:

http://www.114pda.com/communication/com-prg/Xiino_v109E...

If you find out anything interesting, please reply back to the group so
we can all learn from you!

Good luck,

--Sam Lipoff
!