I want to speed up my pc

rocket123

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
hi, i want to speed up my pc so i went to the disk cleanup option for my C: drive. it's asking me whether i want to delete all of my previous system restore points except the most recent, and the shadow copies. i have no idea if this will delete something important that i might need.
thanxs.

Solution

You're not really deleting any data per say. A restore point is a snapshot of what your system was like at that particular point in time. Windows will set a new restore point when you install or uninstall a program. This gives you the option of reverting to that point if something should go screwy with the installation. You can also set restore points yourself when you mess with your system just for backup purposes. If your system is running good at a particular point in time, preferably right after you have done maint. on it, it is a good idea to set a restore point then. Just remember, all those restore points can...
Me neither. :)

You need to judge for yourself. It is unlikely that you will need to go back more than one restore point. I've had to back to my third most recent restore point once since I first started using XP.

So the odds of deleting something you may need are pretty small. But you never know ...

rocket123

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

what are the things that i might need that i would be deleting? are they photos? spreadsheets? or something else?

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009

You're not really deleting any data per say. A restore point is a snapshot of what your system was like at that particular point in time. Windows will set a new restore point when you install or uninstall a program. This gives you the option of reverting to that point if something should go screwy with the installation. You can also set restore points yourself when you mess with your system just for backup purposes. If your system is running good at a particular point in time, preferably right after you have done maint. on it, it is a good idea to set a restore point then. Just remember, all those restore points can consume a lot of space on your hard drive, so limit it to a few at most.

Solution