Home Networking - need router advice

I am a bit overwhelmed with all the different routers available.

I plan to use my notebook (roaming from room-to-room) on a WinXP Home
Network with a desktop (the ICS host) in my bedroom.. I also will be using
it with public hot spots when I travel.

So I would should be some simple questions about wireless routers for you
gurus.

Given my planned usage do you recommend a Wi-Fi router (e.g. the Orinoco
BG-2000)? Or will a NON-Wi-Fi router like a Linksysy WRT54gs ($70 on Amazon)
suffice?

Presumably my first step is to use the Network Setup Wizard to configure my
desktop as the ICS host. Is this correct?

Also, if I use the Windows XP ICS software on my ICS host (a desktop in my
bedroom) to share its DSL connection with my notebook, do I need the DSL
software (from my ISP) installed on my notebook as well?

Michael
3 answers Last reply
More about home networking router advice

    > I plan to use my notebook (roaming from room-to-room) on a WinXP Home
    > Network with a desktop (the ICS host) in my bedroom.. I also will be using
    > it with public hot spots when I travel.
    >
    > So I would should be some simple questions about wireless routers for you
    > gurus.
    >
    > Given my planned usage do you recommend a Wi-Fi router (e.g. the Orinoco
    > BG-2000)? Or will a NON-Wi-Fi router like a Linksysy WRT54gs ($70 on
    > Amazon) suffice?
    >
    > Presumably my first step is to use the Network Setup Wizard to configure
    > my desktop as the ICS host. Is this correct?
    >
    > Also, if I use the Windows XP ICS software on my ICS host (a desktop in my
    > bedroom) to share its DSL connection with my notebook, do I need the DSL
    > software (from my ISP) installed on my notebook as well?
    >
    > Michael
    Michael,
    To connect to the internet with a router you probably won't even
    have to run the set-up wizard, just plug the router into the modem and
    plug the desktop into it.
    If you plan on sharing files between the two computer's, then you will need
    to set up a network.
    In order to connect with the laptop you will have to read and follow the
    instructions that come with the router, but it is easy.
    Be sure and read the parts about SECURITY, if you don't turn on the
    encryption
    in the router anyone within range will be able to use your internet
    connection.
    I use the Linksys and have had no problems with it.
    Check out www.newegg.com for the best price and free shipping.
    Lots of network information on this site:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
    HTH,
    Tom

    Thank you TomR (and peterK).

    Your posts are very helpful.

    "Tom R" <tom42344@snotmail.com> wrote in message

    > To connect to the internet with a router you probably won't even
    > have to run the set-up wizard, just plug the router into the modem and
    > plug the desktop into it.
    >
    > Tom

    If you are planning to connect wirelessly all over the house you do need a
    WiFi Router.
    The desktop does not necessarily need to be wireless and you can set the
    whole thing up so that each unit has independent access to the internet.
    The problem with ICS is that the host computer needs to be on at all times.
    Look here for setting up a wireless/wired connection/network where each
    device can access the net independently
    http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
    peterk

    --
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge
    faster than society gathers wisdom. - Isaac Asimov
    "Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I am a bit overwhelmed with all the different routers available.
    >
    > I plan to use my notebook (roaming from room-to-room) on a WinXP Home
    > Network with a desktop (the ICS host) in my bedroom.. I also will be using
    > it with public hot spots when I travel.
    >
    > So I would should be some simple questions about wireless routers for you
    > gurus.
    >
    > Given my planned usage do you recommend a Wi-Fi router (e.g. the Orinoco
    > BG-2000)? Or will a NON-Wi-Fi router like a Linksysy WRT54gs ($70 on
    > Amazon) suffice?
    >
    > Presumably my first step is to use the Network Setup Wizard to configure
    > my desktop as the ICS host. Is this correct?
    >
    > Also, if I use the Windows XP ICS software on my ICS host (a desktop in my
    > bedroom) to share its DSL connection with my notebook, do I need the DSL
    > software (from my ISP) installed on my notebook as well?
    >
    > Michael

Routers Windows XP Product