Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Home Networking - need router advice

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 8:21:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I am a bit overwhelmed with all the different routers available.

I plan to use my notebook (roaming from room-to-room) on a WinXP Home
Network with a desktop (the ICS host) in my bedroom.. I also will be using
it with public hot spots when I travel.

So I would should be some simple questions about wireless routers for you
gurus.

Given my planned usage do you recommend a Wi-Fi router (e.g. the Orinoco
BG-2000)? Or will a NON-Wi-Fi router like a Linksysy WRT54gs ($70 on Amazon)
suffice?

Presumably my first step is to use the Network Setup Wizard to configure my
desktop as the ICS host. Is this correct?

Also, if I use the Windows XP ICS software on my ICS host (a desktop in my
bedroom) to share its DSL connection with my notebook, do I need the DSL
software (from my ISP) installed on my notebook as well?

Michael
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 8:51:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

>
> I plan to use my notebook (roaming from room-to-room) on a WinXP Home
> Network with a desktop (the ICS host) in my bedroom.. I also will be using
> it with public hot spots when I travel.
>
> So I would should be some simple questions about wireless routers for you
> gurus.
>
> Given my planned usage do you recommend a Wi-Fi router (e.g. the Orinoco
> BG-2000)? Or will a NON-Wi-Fi router like a Linksysy WRT54gs ($70 on
> Amazon) suffice?
>
> Presumably my first step is to use the Network Setup Wizard to configure
> my desktop as the ICS host. Is this correct?
>
> Also, if I use the Windows XP ICS software on my ICS host (a desktop in my
> bedroom) to share its DSL connection with my notebook, do I need the DSL
> software (from my ISP) installed on my notebook as well?
>
> Michael
Michael,
To connect to the internet with a router you probably won't even
have to run the set-up wizard, just plug the router into the modem and
plug the desktop into it.
If you plan on sharing files between the two computer's, then you will need
to set up a network.
In order to connect with the laptop you will have to read and follow the
instructions that come with the router, but it is easy.
Be sure and read the parts about SECURITY, if you don't turn on the
encryption
in the router anyone within range will be able to use your internet
connection.
I use the Linksys and have had no problems with it.
Check out www.newegg.com for the best price and free shipping.
Lots of network information on this site:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
HTH,
Tom
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 9:43:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thank you TomR (and peterK).

Your posts are very helpful.

"Tom R" <tom42344@snotmail.com> wrote in message
news:u8i7LDVxFHA.1032@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
> To connect to the internet with a router you probably won't even
> have to run the set-up wizard, just plug the router into the modem and
> plug the desktop into it.
>
> Tom
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 9:49:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If you are planning to connect wirelessly all over the house you do need a
WiFi Router.
The desktop does not necessarily need to be wireless and you can set the
whole thing up so that each unit has independent access to the internet.
The problem with ICS is that the host computer needs to be on at all times.
Look here for setting up a wireless/wired connection/network where each
device can access the net independently
http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
peterk

--
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge
faster than society gathers wisdom. - Isaac Asimov
"Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:o IVODzUxFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I am a bit overwhelmed with all the different routers available.
>
> I plan to use my notebook (roaming from room-to-room) on a WinXP Home
> Network with a desktop (the ICS host) in my bedroom.. I also will be using
> it with public hot spots when I travel.
>
> So I would should be some simple questions about wireless routers for you
> gurus.
>
> Given my planned usage do you recommend a Wi-Fi router (e.g. the Orinoco
> BG-2000)? Or will a NON-Wi-Fi router like a Linksysy WRT54gs ($70 on
> Amazon) suffice?
>
> Presumably my first step is to use the Network Setup Wizard to configure
> my desktop as the ICS host. Is this correct?
>
> Also, if I use the Windows XP ICS software on my ICS host (a desktop in my
> bedroom) to share its DSL connection with my notebook, do I need the DSL
> software (from my ISP) installed on my notebook as well?
>
> Michael
>
>
>
!