Old Dell Inspiron 6000 - compatible hard drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharms

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
I've decided to try to resurrect my 5 year old laptop (Dell Inspiron 6000), which finally died when the hard drive gave out.

Upon searching through various forums I found most people saying to look for basically any 2.5" PATA/IDE drive. Just to be sure I removed my old hard drive from my laptop and it is labeled with the following specifications:

7200 RPM
60gb
ATA/IDE
5V 1.1A DC

I'm posting here just be sure I'm clear as to what all this means.

1.) From what I can find PATA = parallel ATA, which is a synonym for IDE? Is that correct? Is there a difference then between ATA and PATA/IDE?

2.) What is ATA-6? I saw some people posting on forums that ATA-6 hard drives would be ideal for using in Dell Inspiron 6000s.

3.) Will SATA hard drives be incompatible with my laptop (which contained an ATA/IDE drive from the manufacturer)?

Thanks!

G

Sata has a different connector. My guess is that if you stick to drives with a similar capacity to the original you won't go wrong .

These will be secondhand by now.

However I have a couple of older Dells -- Latitude and Inspiron 5000 and they seem to work with almost any hard drive (so long as it's roughly contemporary to
them).

Status
Not open for further replies.