lionheart_vii

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Could someone please recommend a QUIET CPU FAN for an AMD Athlon XP 1900+ (Socket A) I just replaced my fan with a Dr. Thermal and I am HORRIFIED by how loud the fan is, it is also spinning at an unchangable 6000+ rpms. I don't overclock so my cooling needs are pretty standard. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Tavelkyosoba

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
hey, try <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-150-023&depa=0" target="_new">this</A> guy, i have one coming on thursday so i havn't heard it myself yet.

it has an 80mm fan instead of the normal 60mm. this means the fan will be quieter, live longer, and be easier to replace(80mm fans are super easy to come by)

i have had MANY 60mm fan failures, pretty much every single one i've ever had has died. it is simply because they are small and thin...small componants working hard/fast will wear out much faster than larger compoants working slower.

you could also just pick up a fan controller to slow that fan down...or if you're more elctircally inclined, you could apply an appropriate potentiometer.

I've got a book of matches,
I've got a can of kerosene,
I've got some bright ideas involving you and me.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not all of them are thin, I have several 60mm fans that are 25mm thick, they wear out after a few years but only because they spin around 7000 RPM!

I have MANY old 60mm fans that have NEVER failed after MANY years of use, but they're all low speed fans and 15-25mm thick.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Tavelkyosoba

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
actually you're very right(duh, its crashman), the only 60mm fan i have that hasn't died is a 60x25mm, its been going for over a year now in my g/f's compy.

but im talking the 10mm thick ones, they die like fruit flies, live for 3 months and flop dead. but fans dont so much as flop but grind to a halt.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's because the shaft is too short. Thin fans have short shafts which causes them to wobble more easily, and 60mm diameters overstress that short shaft. 40mm fans are fine at 10mm thickness, anything larger should be thicker.

It's like a baseball bat...if you grab it in the middle, the ends can be tipped easily, but if you grab it near the ends, it's not going anywhere.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Tavelkyosoba

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
exactly!

i didn't know the threshold for the thin bearing though.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
From my experience (using observation, not engineering data):
1.) 10mm thick is good for 40mm fans, fair for 50mm fans, bad for 60mm fans.
2.) 15mm thick is good for 50mm fans, fair for 60mm fans, bad for 80mm fans
3.) 20mm thick is good for 60mm fans, fair for 80mm fans, bad for 120mm fans
4.) 25mm is good for 80mm fans, fair for 120mm fans
5.) 38mm is good for 120mm fans.

And some fans are thicker than durability demands, for example I have a 40mm fan that's 25mm thick, it uses that extra thickness to add more curvature to the blade for increased flow in a small space.

Tavelkyosoba

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
ill keep those numbers in mind for when im grabbing more case fans.