Microsoft Wireless X-Box Adapter

pat

Expert

My network uses a Netgear wireless router fed by a
Toshiba cable modem to send internet to a wireless USB
adaptor on my grandson's desktop computer in another
room. Since the goal now is to make X-Box Live work in
the grandson's room, I believe my next purchase should be
a Microsoft Wireless X-Box Adaptor, unless there is some
other way to get the internet signal from the ethernet
port on desktop computer to the X-Box through perhaps a
Cat 5 crossover cable. Can someone with more savvy advise?

Pat, I'd suggest you go with the MN-740 Xbox wireless adapter. Not only can
you then move the Xbox around, but you wouldn't need to have the desktop
computer on and using Internet Connection Sharing to be able to run the
Xbox.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Pat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My network uses a Netgear wireless router fed by a
> Toshiba cable modem to send internet to a wireless USB
> adaptor on my grandson's desktop computer in another
> room. Since the goal now is to make X-Box Live work in
> the grandson's room, I believe my next purchase should be
> a Microsoft Wireless X-Box Adaptor, unless there is some
> other way to get the internet signal from the ethernet
> port on desktop computer to the X-Box through perhaps a
> Cat 5 crossover cable. Can someone with more savvy advise?

pat

Expert

Chris: Thanks for the prompt reply. I will get the MN-
740. Can I expect much trouble getting it to accept the
wireless signal from the Netgear router? I'm a true
novice! Thanks again.

Honestly, Pat, if I can do it, you can too. Simply follow the set-up
instructions that come with the MN-740. Exactly. Go step-by-step, and
insert the CD in the Xbox when it says to do so, plug in the MN-740 when it
says to do so, and have the information available for setting up your MN-740
in the Dashboard. I think it is easier than playing some Xbox games. :cool:

BTW - It you have your router set for WPA encryption, the MN-740 will only
do WEP (not as strong). You may want to see what encryption you've got set
on the LAN before investing in the MN-740.
--

> Chris: Thanks for the prompt reply. I will get the MN-
> 740. Can I expect much trouble getting it to accept the
> wireless signal from the Netgear router? I'm a true
> novice! Thanks again.

pat

Expert

Chris H: Sounds good. Just saw post by BTW. Will look at
that, too. Thanks again!