TZ: tech help needed possible power driver board problems

Last response: in Video Games
August 20, 2005 11:20:53 PM

After a thorough cleaning and waxing and partial teardown and
reassembly of pf, game immediately started to reset whenever both
flippers were pressed at same time. I measured the voltage on BR2 and
found it to be only 9v, instead of 12-15v. Replaced BR1 and BR2, added
some of the jumpers as shown in the guide posted at marvin3m. Now,
game does not boot up. DMD does show some activity, but garbled lights
only, which gradually go dark after about 30sec - 1 min, also ticking
sound comes from the speakers, but no other activity. Voltage on BR2
still measures only 9v. I did not replace any of the caps. Any ideas?
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:55:42 PM

It's a low voltage problem, put a reinforcement to the 5V that goes to
the Fliptronics board, get the 5 volts from the PDB. Disconnect the
flippers to see if there's no short, maybe that's the reset cause.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 1:29:17 AM

If it was okay before you started, then you'll have to go over everything
you did and see what you screwed up. LTG :)

<bmillarlaw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> After a thorough cleaning and waxing and partial teardown and
> reassembly of pf, game immediately started to reset whenever both
> flippers were pressed at same time. I measured the voltage on BR2 and
> found it to be only 9v, instead of 12-15v. Replaced BR1 and BR2, added
> some of the jumpers as shown in the guide posted at marvin3m. Now,
> game does not boot up. DMD does show some activity, but garbled lights
> only, which gradually go dark after about 30sec - 1 min, also ticking
> sound comes from the speakers, but no other activity. Voltage on BR2
> still measures only 9v. I did not replace any of the caps. Any ideas?

August 21, 2005 11:02:24 AM

ok...this is my first attempt at board repair or fixing a major TZ
fault, so thanks for being patient with me.

First - a question for Kampfflieger, im not sure what you mean by
reinforcement of the 5v? Do you mean run a jumper from the 5v (p3,4) on
J114 to J904 p1? What is the recommended method to do this?

Second - After replacement of BR1 and BR2 and placement of BR2 to C5
jumpers and BR5 to C30 jumpers, I do not find any blown fuses and the
voltage readings are still the same (9v), so am I safe to assume that
nothing is shorted on the board (due to faulty repair) and that the
problem is most likely NOT the rectifiers? I know that there are many
instances of replacement rectifiers being bad, but aren't the odds of
getting the same voltage reading low if the new rectifier is bad?

Also, the game does not boot but I get a scattering of lights on the
DMD and a ticking sound from the speakers, is there a recommended
trouble shooting 'path'? That is, can I disconnect certain things from
one or more boards to see if the fault can be isolated? Thanks for any
additional help.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:44:01 PM

As we know, the PDB brings 5V to the Fliptronics board and the CPU
board (J210-5 and J502-3) using a common pin(J114-3).This gives 5V to
the Fliptronics board (J904-1) too, using a bridge. I I only gets a
cable directly from J114-3 to J904-1, without unplugging the bridge.
The bridge it's the connector used between the PBD and the Sound Board.
It works.

!