Hey, is there any difference between VGA and DVI/HDMI

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
My friend says that they are the exact same thing, i told him it isnt, but maybe im wrong. He said they are the same cable and sam amount of componnents so they are the same thing and nothing is different.

Anyways i was wondering so im asking here. Is there any difference in terms of normal computing use, but also in terms of gaming?

also what is the difference between dvi and dvid? i thought i would throw that in there instead of creating a new thread.

DVI-D and HDMI are both digital (and the video part of the signal is the same, so converting between them is just a matter of wiring between different pin positions, though HDMI also carries audio). VGA is analog only, and often described as inferior, but the quality difference may not always be obvious.

DVI actually comes in several variations: DVI-D (digital only), DVI-A (analog only), and DVI-I (integrated, carries both analog and digital signals). I think most video cards output as DVI-I so that either a DVI-D cable or a DVI-A to VGA cable can be used to connect the monitor (the latter would be used for a monitor that only has a VGA port). Monitors that specify DVI-D input probably won't work with that port connected to the VGA output of a video card.

If that's not enough, you're better off looking at Wikipedia articles about DVI and related connectors.