Using VPN across a MN-700 Wireless BaseStation

Hi to all those following this thread.

Guess what? I figured it out!

On Microsoft's own Knowledge Base they suggest using Port
Forwarding. They tell you to use 1024-65535 TCP for
Client Ports and 1723 TCP for a Server Port. The first
one made no sense because on Contivity you can only
configure a maximum range of 100 ports. So instead of
trying to configure the full range I just configured port
1024 and 65535.

This alone did not work. But when I then also engaged DMZ
bingo!

I hate the thought of using DMZ. It is like leaving your
front door open when you go to work in the morning. But
it seems this is the only way to access my work network
without disconnecting the MN-700 router.

Hope this helps some other hapless victims of this obtuse
procedure. Microsoft needs to address this flaw in their
hardware. It shouldn't take more than six months of trial
and error to figure this out.

Thanks Chris. This procedure worked for me. As much as I
like the MS Broadband Hardware (have an MN-700, MN-720, MN-
730, and MN-740), it pisses me off that I've had such a
problem getting my VPN (Cisco) to work. I can connect but
keep on getting disconnected. Before I used a D-Link (WAP)
with an Efficient Networks (Router) and had no problem
connecting through VPN. Microsoft really needs to make a
fix for this. Once again thanks alot.

MB

I'm using Cisco VPN 4.0.1 on an XP SP 2 laptop and I can stay
connected over the MN-700 forever over VPN. I'm on a cable modem and
the MN700 gets 4 day leases fine. The client lease expiration I've set
it 2 weeks. I don't use the Cisco stateful inspection feature.

How about some more details of your situation?

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist