Sign in with
Your question

1 Stuck pixel - W2361v. See question

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 21, 2011 12:11:37 PM

I've had this monitor for a year and a half and I've been very happy with it! It now has a dead pixel centre-left of the screen (it changes colour depending on the background - Black background - green pixel, white background, pink pixel etc). It's not that annoying when playing Xbox, but I'm going to be using this monitor as my PC monitor soon and I'd like your feedback. Do you get used to the stuck pixel? I've contacted LG and with a lot of perseverance they have agreed to replace the monitor, but they only have the 22" version in stock. What should I do? Wait until I make my PC and see if it annoys me with constant use? Let them replace it with the 22" version? Or just keep calling them for the next couple of months until they have the same identical version.

Thanks!
June 21, 2011 4:13:30 PM

Sorry I said "dead pixel" at one point, it's stuck but I can't get rid of it, tried pretty much everything.
a b C Monitor
June 21, 2011 4:41:29 PM

I'm puzzled that they would offer the 22 inch model (which will probably really be 21.5 inches), instead of a newer/different 23 inch model - you might dig through the terms of the warranty to see whether they're required to offer you an equivalent or better model. I'm rather confused about them saying they don't have it in stock - if it was a retail store, they should be able to special order it, but if the manufacturer doesn't have one to send, that would suggest that the monitor is out of production, which is quite different from being out of stock.

I've been fortunate and haven't had dead or stuck pixels on my desktop monitors (except for one monitor at work where I noticed several bad pixels in the middle the first time I turned it on, and the IT department promptly brought me a replacement), so I don't know whether I'd get used to one. It's really up to you whether you could live with a 21.5 inch monitor - I'd consider that too small for me, but that's only because I've been using a 30 inch monitor for a while.
Related resources
a c 84 C Monitor
June 21, 2011 5:21:38 PM

It's very rare that a monitor vendor will replace a monitor for one bad pixel. You should take their offer. I'm sure their warranty replacement actually states you need several on the screen, and at least 2-3+ in a bunch to get a replacement.
June 21, 2011 5:40:08 PM

I think the monitors they replace with are - refurbished monitors. Also, apparently the 22" has the same resolution - but it's not native HD? I'm not too monitor savvy so I don't really know, but it seems like I'm downgrading.
a b C Monitor
June 21, 2011 5:59:23 PM

Refurbished? That doesn't seem like a good way for LG to build a good reputation for customer service, but if they're offering the W2261V-PF or W2261VP, the native resolution is exactly the same, so it's only a minor downgrade in physical size, not in resolution. However, some of their other 22 inch models have 1680x1050 native resolution, which would be a downgrade.
a c 84 C Monitor
June 21, 2011 6:04:27 PM

Vendors put in the option to replace an item with a "similar, maybe used but working" item, if you read the warranty. Our warranty repairs often come back with used items. Almost always I should say, unless it's a full computer.
June 21, 2011 7:45:02 PM

So if you were me and you were even slightly annoyed by the stuck pixel, would you take it?
June 21, 2011 9:15:23 PM

Oh and the contrast ratio is worse - 20:000: 1 rather than 50 000: 1
a c 84 C Monitor
June 21, 2011 9:44:22 PM

luminouslime said:

I'm betting it's not that much of a difference, it's how you measure it, and at what type of setup in the options.

Don't know if I'd get it replaced as I have a monitor with a stuck red pixel and does not bug me, but since they are actually willing to swap it out for a good one with only one dead pixel, may be worth it to you.
a b C Monitor
June 21, 2011 9:48:58 PM

luminouslime said:

Those are both measuring dynamic contrast ratio, which is basically advertising BS.
a c 193 C Monitor
June 21, 2011 11:47:57 PM

As stated before, very few manufacturers offer to replace a monitor when there is only a single dead or stuck pixel.

I bought my monitors (NEC and Planar) because they basically have an unstated zero dead pixel policy. Then again they were relatively high end and expensive monitors when I purchased them.

I would find out exactly which monitor LG is offering in exchange for your current monitor.

To determine if it is worth it to exchange your monitor, it would be nice to know exactly where the dead pixel is on the screen. The closer to the center it is, the more annoying and obvious it will be. If possible, post a screenshot of your monitor so that we can see where this problem pixel is.

Regarding the 50,000:1 vs 20,000:1 contrast, that refers to dynamic contrast ratio as stated above. What's more important is static contrast ratio which generally ranges between 700:1 and 1000:1 for a TN panel monitor which is the type of LCD panel tech used in your current monitor.
!