Where to sell FX-53 for $600?

joshuawinslow

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
I have a brand new AMD FX-53 processor, unopened, that was won at the E3 American Army tournament. Its the socket 940 one.

Where would be a good place to sell this? Is $600 a reasonable price? If you were to buy it, what price would entice you (this one's pretty good I think)? Also if you offer me something very nice (like an inflatable starship enterprise) I might consider selling it to you ;)

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wow! It's already obsolete! The big push now is for socket 939 motherboards with dual-channel. The FX-53 is really just a re-badged Opteron server chip. I suppose I could scrape up $200.00 for it while the socket 940 boards are still in production!

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LOL! You'll have to E-Bay it Josh. You shouldn't have much trouble. It might go for more than you think.

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
That's the one someone mentioned in a post they were thinking of buying for $500, right? I believe they said it had no warranty. Why is that? Is it oem or something? It seemed like people pretty much talked him out of it. I think 940 boards are pretty high priced and then there is the ecc ram requirement issue. The chip would be a great deal at 3500+ prices I guess but the platform is very costly from what I understand. I am not even sure how one would go about "shopping" for a 940 board. I imagine there must be some reviews out there somewhere but since 940 is a server platform I haven't really looked for em.

Seems like one heck of a nice prize though. :smile:

joshuawinslow

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
I think I'll try Ebay. That sounds like the best bet. I just wondered if there was a popular commerce bulletin board where I could sell it without ebay's taxing on my profit. However, most ebayers will pay more than smart buggers like us on these BB's :).

joshuawinslow

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
Does anybody check prices on Ebay's storefront? I just noticed it, and that looks like a nice place to sell something, but I want ot make sure people actually go there (whereas until today I always just checked the ebay auctions) to buy stuff.

Leave me feedback for whether or not you shop there at all.

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
That's funny, I watched this auction on ebay, hell I actually bid on the damn thing and lo and behold I join this site and see this thread.... who knew???!!!!

By the way I didn't win it and am going with a 939 FX53 instead. Cost me about 300 more but I saved on the RAM.

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
how much did it end up going for? Just curious. I just spent $280 on a new cpu and that is about $180 more than I would have thought I would ever pay for a cpu.

<font color=black>yippie ki ya, m..........<font color=black>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yea, but two months from now somebody will ask you where they can get one and you'll have to say, "Sorry dude, they are no longer available anywhere". :lol: