Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Audio Noob: Best Speakers for $250-300?

Last response: in Home Audio
September 5, 2012 12:53:26 AM

So I know very little about different speaker brands/models/stats and what not. I want to spend around $250-300 on a set of speakers mainly for music. Music is the top priority, with maybe some movies and gaming as well, but put the emphasis on MUSIC quality.

I have no idea where to start. What are the best speakers for $250-300? My room isn't that big if that matters, I don't have the exact dimensions but if it's critical I can get them. Do I need a subwoofer? Or do 2 speaker sets work? See I have no experience in this haha.

From doing what research I could (and again, I have no idea where to start) I've read that the Vanns Energy RC-10's are very nice. I also like how they are big and cool-looking...I honestly care about the "shock and awe" appearance :p .

So, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
September 5, 2012 3:00:33 AM

Speakers are very subjective. The only way to choose is to audition speakers in your price range and go with the ones that sound best to you.
Related resources

Best solution

September 5, 2012 6:56:49 PM

Those RC-10s are very good value and you are on the way to awesome SQ/$$ if you go that route - alternatively
http://www.avsforum.com/f/89/speakers
for more great advice
September 5, 2012 11:36:37 PM

Ok thank's for the advice. While I'm not as gnarly hardcore about getting the BEST BEST BEST like I am with my computer rigs, I'd still like to do a good job choosing some nice speakers.

If I DID go with the RC-10's, would I need a subwoofer, or do they have one built in? Haha I'm such a noob on this part of Tom's :p .
September 6, 2012 10:25:40 PM

Yes and you'd be moving away from typical PC/Multimedia subs which sound so boomy and muddy that they ruin music listening IMO hehe If you need more low end, rather than skimp on a cheap non musical sub, you can always add a quality 8-10" active sub later down the road
September 8, 2012 1:41:17 AM

Best answer selected by nsouter853.
!