dagreek

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I ordered a Compaq R3000T it has a P4 3.0GHz/HT proccsor I was wondering what kind of battery saving features it can use, I know Intel has something called Speedstep but I'm having trouble finding information on it. Dose it only cut the speed in half when the system is unplugged? Like mine would slow to 1.5GHz no matter what the cpu load is?

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Today's technology like SpeedStep, Cool&Quiet, etc... Are stepping down the CPU core speed an voltage in steps.

For example, I have an "old" Dell P4M 1.4GHz laptop. It runs at 1.2GHz in normal operation (AC power in) it goes up to 1.4GHz when the processing is intense. When I unplug the AC cord, the CPU throttles down automatically.

Ususally you can configure this in your BIOS. There is some options in it.

But, from what I read/know about P4 in laptop. You probably don't have a mobile P4, but a Desktop Replacement P4 processor in your laptop. Basically, it's a desktop CPU fitted into a laptop case.

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

dagreek

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I know your probably right about it being a desktop replacment but I want to know what kind of battery saving features this CPU might have. If it has speed step is there many versions, and what can they do to save power? I know the Pentium M's can throttle very well like the AMD chips can but what about the P4's?