File and transfer wizard windows xp

I bought a crossover cable/patch cable whatever you want to call it RJ45
male to male to transfer files from my old notebook (windows xp) to my new
dimension (windows xp) but I cant figure out how to set it up. When I go
into the program, there is no selection for this type of cable connection,
there is a home network selection however it's greyed out, not letting me
select it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

"Sseaott" <SseaottATcomcastDOTnet> wrote:

>I bought a crossover cable/patch cable whatever you want to call it RJ45
>male to male to transfer files from my old notebook (windows xp) to my new
>dimension (windows xp) but I cant figure out how to set it up. When I go
>into the program, there is no selection for this type of cable connection,
>there is a home network selection however it's greyed out, not letting me
>select it.
>
>Can anyone help?

Beyond what I offer below, you can learn a great deal about
things like this at:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com

which has primers - in a layered approach so you can go as deep
or as shallow as needed - on virtually everything you'd want to
know about setting up a home network, even just one of short
duration to transfer files.

But, if you are sure you have the right cable, and it is plugged
into the NICs in each of the computers, then:

Are you logged in as the Administrator, or a User with full
Administrator privileges, on the computer involved?

Using the Control Panel in XP View:

Control Panel | Network and Internet Connections |

and run the "Set up or change your home or small office network"

Using the Control Panel in Classic View:

Control Panel | Network Connections

Assuming a LAN or High Speed Internet connection doesn't already
exist, then select "Create a new connection" [if you know or have
gone to that website to find out what you are doing] or "Set up a
home or small office network" to run a Wizard to help you.

I had already set up a two machine home network via a cable/dsl
router, so had an existing network to add my newly purchased
D4400 to for doing a file transfer from the old machine that was
going away. But setting up the original leetle network was a
piece of cake for this total neophyte networking dweeb under XP.
[With a little help from that web site and from the Linksys
router user's manual.] I'm surprised you're having problems.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

OK, I don't even know what to chose on this webpage:)

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Sseaott" <SseaottATcomcastDOTnet> wrote:
>
> >I bought a crossover cable/patch cable whatever you want to call it RJ45
> >male to male to transfer files from my old notebook (windows xp) to my
new
> >dimension (windows xp) but I cant figure out how to set it up. When I go
> >into the program, there is no selection for this type of cable
connection,
> >there is a home network selection however it's greyed out, not letting me
> >select it.
> >
> >Can anyone help?
>
> Beyond what I offer below, you can learn a great deal about
> things like this at:
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com
>
> which has primers - in a layered approach so you can go as deep
> or as shallow as needed - on virtually everything you'd want to
> know about setting up a home network, even just one of short
> duration to transfer files.
>
> But, if you are sure you have the right cable, and it is plugged
> into the NICs in each of the computers, then:
>
> Are you logged in as the Administrator, or a User with full
> Administrator privileges, on the computer involved?
>
> Using the Control Panel in XP View:
>
> Control Panel | Network and Internet Connections |
>
> and run the "Set up or change your home or small office network"
>
> Using the Control Panel in Classic View:
>
> Control Panel | Network Connections
>
> Assuming a LAN or High Speed Internet connection doesn't already
> exist, then select "Create a new connection" [if you know or have
> gone to that website to find out what you are doing] or "Set up a
> home or small office network" to run a Wizard to help you.
>
> I had already set up a two machine home network via a cable/dsl
> router, so had an existing network to add my newly purchased
> D4400 to for doing a file transfer from the old machine that was
> going away. But setting up the original leetle network was a
> piece of cake for this total neophyte networking dweeb under XP.
> [With a little help from that web site and from the Linksys
> router user's manual.] I'm surprised you're having problems.
> --
> OJ III
> [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

"Sseaott" <SseaottATcomcastDOTnet> wrote:

>OK, I don't even know what to chose on this webpage:)

Start here:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/lansetup.htm

I can't hold your hand through the whole thing, but your starting
point is that, from what I understand from your original post,
you only want to connect your two computers for a short time to
do file transfers, and are not interested in sharing an internet
connection. So your interest would seem to be in the "direct
cable connection (only for two computers option).

From that page, it would seem you want to follow the route for
the "10BaseT...with a "twist"" route, and ignore everything
having to do with the cable modem/internet part - i.e., you don't
need 2 NICs in the computer handling the cable modem.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

Practically Networked is a great site! Thanks for posting the URL.

Rocky