Networking help for a neophyte.

G

Hi all! Im new here so bare with me. Im goin to be as detailed as I can. Heres my situation, I have two win2k pro boxes and am trying to network them. I am using a netgear 4 port ethernet hub, I have patch cables running from each machine goin to port 1 and port 2. This hub has a button that is normal/uplink, should I have it set to normal? In tcp/ip settings for both machines i have specified an ip address of 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 both have subnet of 255.255.255.0 Neither have a dns entry. I have enabled netbios on both machines. I login to one as Administrtor, and the other I log into as brandon. Do I need to have duplicate accounts on each machine? I have them set in the work group simply titled "network", but it is far from that. lol I cant get any network activity between these machines, and I do have each c: drive shared with the names HD 1 and HD 2. What am I missing guys?

Ever notice you always find what your looking for in the last place you look?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
This hub has a button that is normal/uplink, should I have it set to normal?
Most likely normal is correct. Just check the lights - if you have a link light you are good. If not, toggle the button.

In tcp/ip settings for both machines i have specified an ip address of 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 both have subnet of 255.255.255.0
This is your problem. Change it to "obtain IP address automatically". This is a lot less hassle. What you have is known as "static IP addresses" which theoretically should work, but you've already made a mistake, namely that 192.168.0.1 is the address of the Netgear router. Thats a no-no (AKA duplicate IP address). Just use DHCP (AKA obtain IP address automatically).

Do I need to have duplicate accounts on each machine?
Not with W2K. W2K allows you to specify username and password when you map a drive. Win 9X does not, that's why you often see the suggestion of having a username on the 2K box the same as the 98. Not necessary on 2K.

Try the suggestions above, and you should be good to go.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>