Al

Every other time I install new software, (or do anything that affects the
registry)
the computer says :

"Windows encountered an error accessing the registry. Windows will repair
the
registry for you and restart the computer." Then it does exactly that, and
I lose all the registry entries for the software I just installed, so I have
to install it again. It usually doesn't do this the second time.

This problem and some others eventually caused me to purchase a brand new
hard drive and reinstall the OS from the Gateway restore-- but this problem
STILL occurs.

I think someone on this group said I needed a new memory chip.
Can anyone confirm? Other suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I've seen that happen when a bad memory chip is present. So, yes, I'd confirm
that's a likely scenario.