IJ Idol opportunity for someone. Comments?

This has made me think. See link, and watch the volume.

http://cgi.ebay.com/INDIANA-JONES-IDOL-NOS-MINT-03-8907_W0QQitemZ6202797959QQcategoryZ13727QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I looked at this auction. $149 bid and $199 buy it now. How about a
quote from someone on this group to restore the finish on these. Seems
to me one of our talented artists on this group could make some pretty
nice spare change refinishing existing idols. Maybe $50 a pop?

I have seen the T2 skulls and Hunter Killer ships. These are
aftermarket repro's but they have to be detailed.

My idol is fine except I would love to get it refinished. It would
look nice with my new IJ ruins.

I am not aware of anyone offering these NOS from anywhere else, at a
decent price, so educate me. I would love to hear comments.

Mario
Pinthetic

pt

You could buy a gold leaf kit from the local hobby shop for $10 and
give it a shot yourself.

I got a NOS idol head from Europe a while back for much less than $150.
I think it was about $80 plus shipping. It looks really nice in what
is now Brannon's IJ!

John

Scott, I tied it into the "Hurry up" flashlamp so it doesn't run so
much and I reckon that works pretty good. I do want to work on some way
to be able to see the prop better when spinning though, as it runs at
high speed so it is just a blur. Might try a resistor to slow the motor
down a bit.

Dave

Adi

I believe RGPs own Ceagary has done some gold painting and dressing up on
the idol a little while back. I remember seeing his restored pictures and I
was very impressed. Perhaps, he'll chime in and offer some pointers and/or
pictures.

Adi
www.txpinball.com

<Pinthetic@gmail.com> wrote in message
> This has made me think. See link, and watch the volume.

http://cgi.ebay.com/INDIANA-JONES-IDOL-NOS-MINT-03-8907_W0QQitemZ6202797959QQcategoryZ13727QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

> I looked at this auction. $149 bid and $199 buy it now. How about a
> quote from someone on this group to restore the finish on these. Seems
> to me one of our talented artists on this group could make some pretty
> nice spare change refinishing existing idols. Maybe $50 a pop?
>
> I have seen the T2 skulls and Hunter Killer ships. These are
> aftermarket repro's but they have to be detailed.
>
> My idol is fine except I would love to get it refinished. It would
> look nice with my new IJ ruins.
>
> I am not aware of anyone offering these NOS from anywhere else, at a
> decent price, so educate me. I would love to hear comments.
>
> Mario
> Pinthetic

Tom Wible has been gold plating flipper bats lately. He might be set up
for this already.

bogart
www.pinrestore.com

Pinthetic@gmail.com wrote:
> This has made me think. See link, and watch the volume.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/INDIANA-JONES-IDOL-NOS-MINT-03-8907_W0QQitemZ6202797959QQcategoryZ13727QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> I looked at this auction. $149 bid and $199 buy it now. How about a
> quote from someone on this group to restore the finish on these. Seems
> to me one of our talented artists on this group could make some pretty
> nice spare change refinishing existing idols. Maybe $50 a pop?
>
> I have seen the T2 skulls and Hunter Killer ships. These are
> aftermarket repro's but they have to be detailed.
>
> My idol is fine except I would love to get it refinished. It would
> look nice with my new IJ ruins.
>
> I am not aware of anyone offering these NOS from anywhere else, at a
> decent price, so educate me. I would love to hear comments.
>
> Mario
> Pinthetic

pt

Put it on the arrow in front of the left ramp. The hurry up does not
run enough. The arrow even spins the propeller in attract mode. Why
have the prop if it almost never runs?

John

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

REALLY glad I had my speaker volume turned up when I looked - NOT.

Chris

<Pinthetic@gmail.com> wrote in message
> This has made me think. See link, and watch the volume.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/INDIANA-JONES-IDOL-NOS-MINT-03-8907_W0QQitemZ6202797959QQcategoryZ13727QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> I looked at this auction. $149 bid and $199 buy it now. How about a
> quote from someone on this group to restore the finish on these. Seems
> to me one of our talented artists on this group could make some pretty
> nice spare change refinishing existing idols. Maybe $50 a pop?
>
> I have seen the T2 skulls and Hunter Killer ships. These are
> aftermarket repro's but they have to be detailed.
>
> My idol is fine except I would love to get it refinished. It would
> look nice with my new IJ ruins.
>
> I am not aware of anyone offering these NOS from anywhere else, at a
> decent price, so educate me. I would love to hear comments.
>
> Mario
> Pinthetic

I think the metalizing link is worth looking into. When I did mine we
checked out local guys who could do it and it was very expensive. A friend
tried gold leaf and I didn't think that worked out well, looked very
different to original. I landed up using Krylon 18K spray, a number of
coats. Important thing is, don't touch it after spraying, let dry a good
while, minimal contact even when dry and definitely don't try clearcoat it.
The difficulty also is you have to apply the black by hand, with a brush,
while holding the idol only by it's base but it did come out very nice and
very close to original. Pic at
http://members6.clubphoto.com/tim531160/2384827/guest.phtml .

GRY

"Chris" <munsonjulieNOSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> REALLY glad I had my speaker volume turned up when I looked - NOT.
>
> Chris
>
> <Pinthetic@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> This has made me think. See link, and watch the volume.
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/INDIANA-JONES-IDOL-NOS-MINT-03-8907_W0QQitemZ6202797959QQcategoryZ13727QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>>
>> I looked at this auction. $149 bid and $199 buy it now. How about a
>> quote from someone on this group to restore the finish on these. Seems
>> to me one of our talented artists on this group could make some pretty
>> nice spare change refinishing existing idols. Maybe $50 a pop?
>>
>> I have seen the T2 skulls and Hunter Killer ships. These are
>> aftermarket repro's but they have to be detailed.
>>
>> My idol is fine except I would love to get it refinished. It would
>> look nice with my new IJ ruins.
>>
>> I am not aware of anyone offering these NOS from anywhere else, at a
>> decent price, so educate me. I would love to hear comments.
>>
>> Mario
>> Pinthetic

I much prefer a seperate switch on the ramp with a pop bumber board to time
the spin. Details on Roc's site.

GRY

"PT" <zeecarr1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Put it on the arrow in front of the left ramp. The hurry up does not
> run enough. The arrow even spins the propeller in attract mode. Why
> have the prop if it almost never runs?
>
> John

Any details on the spinning propeller mod? I've got a new biplane with
the motor in it and I'm not sure which way I want to go on wiring it up.

bogart
www.pinrestore.com