Sign in with
Your question

POST error beeps... can't find this one

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 27, 2004 2:25:14 AM

Well... I recently gave my father my old Motheboard and CPU, when I upgraded my computer.

Got everything hooked up, reformatted, and installed XP just fine. Unfortunately though, my father didn't like the insane noise from the CPU fan... so I bought another one, and just now installed it (after cleaning, putting on Arctic Silver, etc), and when I go to boot his PC now, I get a quick single beep, as if it had POSTed fine... but then a second later, I get a long beep, and the system shuts down.

I opened up the case to make sure the CPU fan is running, and it is. I also reseated the memory, as well as the Video card.

Keep in mind, this system was working, until I put the new heatsink/fan in.... but I just don't see how the fan could be the cause of this error... as long as it is running, and connected to the CPU Fan connector on the motherboard, which it is....

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Edit: The motherboard is a Soyo KT333 Dragon Lite... and if I remember correctly, it uses Award BIOS.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tastim on 06/26/04 10:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : post error beeps find

June 27, 2004 2:36:49 AM

Does it actually post or anything show up on the screen? Maybe you accidently pulled out a wire when you cleaned the cpu. The videocard doesnt need an auxillary power connector does it?

The worst case scenario is you cracked the cpu core when you cleaned it.

-----------------------
[mind went blank]
June 27, 2004 2:52:45 AM

Video doesn't get a chance to initialize or display anything... the system shuts off before then.

All wires are connected properly... I've pretty much checked all the basics... I haven't actually popped the board out yet to make sure it's not grounding, but I have lifted it by the edges where that would be possible and to no effect.

How would I have cracked the CPU core? I cleaned it with a "lint-free" Qtip and rubbing alcohol... and the system hadn't been on all day.

Like I said though... it POSTs with a single beep before the slightly delayed Long beep..... but no web site seems to have much information on Award BIOS error beeps.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tastim on 06/26/04 10:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
June 27, 2004 3:04:53 AM

Oooooo k... well, hooked back up the original heatsink/fan, and the system runs fine....

So, how is this possible? Only thing I can think of is the pin on the fan connector that sends the fan speed information to the motherboard is not functioning, making the motherboard think there is no CPU fan...
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2004 4:20:29 AM

Perhaps the thing wasn't contacting the core good enough, and thermal protection shut it off?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
June 27, 2004 6:27:13 AM

This is the heatsink/fan I bought. I bought it because it was said to be very quiet, utilizing bigger, but slower turning blades. It is in fact very quite. Now if only my motherboard didn't have a fan on the chipset, it would be damn near silent.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

Think I'm going to go pick up a new 80mm fan tomorrow and see what happens.....

Edit: Is it a good thing when a cpu fan's connectors freely slide in and out of the plastic plug that connects them to the motherboard?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tastim on 06/27/04 02:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2004 6:49:01 AM

The connectors are supposed to be snug, you might have loose ones, they can actually be tightened by taking the leads out and bending the contact tabs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!