Wondering about gaming and cpu's

Thorgon

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2004
Hello all, I am new to the community and thought I would get a stupid question out of the way lol. I am going to build a new pc in the next few months to be used almost exclusively for gaming(mainly EQ 2). Currently, I am thinking about using a P4 3.2 Northwood and adding either an X800 or GeForce 6800 card. With that said, with games such as EQ 2, would bumping up the processor to an P4 EE or AMD FX cpu really be worth the extra cash. Would the extra processing speed make that much difference in the appearance and game play?

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I agree with what endyen said. A P4EE or Athlon FX don't have any noticable performance differences compared to their mainstream brethren. Only a few percentage points in benchmarks. Theres nothing a P4EE or FX can do that an A64 or Northwood can't do. I also agree with getting an A64 if your strictly for games.

-----------------------
[mind went blank]

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
An A64 Clawhammer will probably do the trick. Go faster if you must, but the A64 clearly has an edge in gaming. What will you do next year to run Win64 on a P4-3.2EE?

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!