Using usb drive with 5.1 speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardikjjoshi

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
I do not have a PC at home but would like to use pendrive with my multimedia speakers (5.1 channel) - Do I need to purchase external sound card ?

Let's back up a bit, what you are asking is a bit odd.

Speakers do not normally have a USB input, do yours? What model are they?

Do you have a receiver with a USB input? If so, the manual will tell you how to use it.

If you just happen to have a pair of speakers around for use with a computer, the only way you can use them without one is to hook them up to an amplifier that has a USB input. And you need to make sure the speakers can be used with an external amp, many have onboard amplification, so you may not be able to use them with an amp. Maybe a pre-amp and just run the output to the speakers without an amp.

to clarify:

what are the 5.1 speakers you have for? are they for the television (a home theater system)?

if so as stated above, does your control unit have usb input?

remember also that even if it does support usb input, not all file types are supported. what is and what is not supported would be in the manual.

hardikjjoshi

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

Thanks for the concern...

They are the multimedia speakers with built-in amplifier. Can we plug in an external usb input device that has output of 5.1 channels ? The external usb input device must support playing mp3 files aswell.

If whatever you want to use has a line out for audio, sure, but I have run into issues trying to use regular home audio systems with computer speakers. Often the sound ends up being way too low due to the output level on the equipment.

This site has some reviews of media playback devices. http://anythingbutipod.com/archives/home-audio/

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS