R.A.T. 7 Gaming Surface

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
I recently purchased a Cyborg R.A.T. 7 gaming mouse to replace my horrible Razer Imperator. When I purchased the mouse, I also purchased an XTrac Pads Ripper XL gaming surface.
This mouse is amazing. Not just a million times better than my old mouse; this is the best mouse I have ever come into contact with. I look like a fool sitting at my desk smiling at my mouse. However, it has a major issue.
The mouse cursor experiences a lot of drift. In fact, if I turn on music, the cursor flies around the screen in time with my subwoofer. This makes it difficult to click on things, and of course is not acceptable for gaming.
After testing a few things out, I think it may be mostly the surface. I tried it on the desk, and it moves, but not as much. When I tried my old Razer eXactMat (the one I was replacing), however, it stopped.
The problem is that this pad is old, wears very easily, and was rather expensive.

So, can anyone that has a R.A.T. 7 recommend a good pad? I am thinking that cloth is probably not the way to go, considering the issues with this pad. Maybe another metal pad, or a hard plastic? I am willing to spend what I have to to get a good pad, but I'd rather not spend 40 bucks if possible. This one was 15 dollars, measures 14 x 17 3/4, and I love it. It just doesn't seem to work with the laser in this mouse.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance!

first you should ask yourself the question: why is my mouse moving?

if it is because you have your subwoofer cranked up super loud and the vibration is moving the mouse then just replacing a mouspad might not give you the effect you wanted. moving the subwoofer to the opposite side of the desk, or under the desk might reduce the vibration and eliminate the issue without cost.

also: is the rat7 laser or led? if it is laser see below, if it is led ignore this part.

laser mice have issues with reflective surfaces. glass, glossy plastic, some metal, polished wood all have known issues (depending on reflectivity). matte surfaces (non glossy) work best. these would be your standard cloth, matte plastic, and other such surfaces.

---

honestly i can't recommend anything more than a standard cloth mousepad. you don't gain any performance by buying the "super special gaming edition mouspad" over a generic. they do make cloth mouspads in larger sizes similar to some of the gaming models for only like $8.

i'd be looking at the source of the problem instead of a mouspad if it was me though. i have a 450w 10" sub under the desk and even cranked up to shake the walls my mouse is steady. its all about isolating the vibration away from your desk.

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, the one I was having all the problems with was a plain black cloth pad. I tried ordering a hard mat, and we'll see how it works.