Tech: TOM fuse question

I had a problem on my Theatre of Magic. While I was playing the basement
flap would come up but a ball would not eject. I heard the coil firing. At
the same time the trunk magnet stopped working. I noticed that both of
these were on the same wire. I thought a transistor but it turned out it
was the fuse (F903 fliptronic II board). My question is what would cause it
to go out? Should I worry about it or is it just one of those things. I
have 9 games and this is the first time I had a fuse go out on me (not
including the ones I blew while tinkering) in ten years.
Thanks,
Steve

Fuses can fail, usually with a reason. Did you replace it and is it now
working ? If so, enjoy your game. If it blows again, do some digging. The
fuse that went out would have nothing to do with the opto power ( why the
game wants to kick a ball out of the basement ) or your magnet ( maybe a
short in the trunk wiring harness ) . LTG :)

"avspin" <sscohen@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I had a problem on my Theatre of Magic. While I was playing the basement
> flap would come up but a ball would not eject. I heard the coil firing.
At
> the same time the trunk magnet stopped working. I noticed that both of
> these were on the same wire. I thought a transistor but it turned out it
> was the fuse (F903 fliptronic II board). My question is what would cause
it
> to go out? Should I worry about it or is it just one of those things. I
> have 9 games and this is the first time I had a fuse go out on me (not
> including the ones I blew while tinkering) in ten years.
> Thanks,
> Steve

I replaced the fuse and it works. What was happening was the balls were
stacking up under the playfield. The sub ball release #34 coil was stuck on
and not allowing the balls to continue to the up popper in the basement. I
didn't know this while I was playing and when it was multiball time the
magnet on the trunk #33 would not work either. The trunk would just go back
and forth between the magnet and the opening. The 3 balls were activating
the 3 switches under the playfield giving the trunk conflicting info since
the switches were not being released. So all is good and I guess I
shouldn't worry unless it blows again.
Thanks Lloyd,
Steve

"Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote in message
> Fuses can fail, usually with a reason. Did you replace it and is it now
> working ? If so, enjoy your game. If it blows again, do some digging. The
> fuse that went out would have nothing to do with the opto power ( why the
> game wants to kick a ball out of the basement ) or your magnet ( maybe a
> short in the trunk wiring harness ) . LTG :)
>
> "avspin" <sscohen@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I had a problem on my Theatre of Magic. While I was playing the basement
>> flap would come up but a ball would not eject. I heard the coil firing.
> At
>> the same time the trunk magnet stopped working. I noticed that both of
>> these were on the same wire. I thought a transistor but it turned out it
>> was the fuse (F903 fliptronic II board). My question is what would cause
> it
>> to go out? Should I worry about it or is it just one of those things. I
>> have 9 games and this is the first time I had a fuse go out on me (not
>> including the ones I blew while tinkering) in ten years.
>> Thanks,
>> Steve

TRENDING THREADS