A Palomino core bellow 45C-not for long

Mr_Nuke

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
I had a nasty heat problems w\ my Athlon XP 1600+(2 1/2years old). The thermal pad was reused and didn't work very well. I monitored the temps: above 80C. So I got some silver grease and an extra 80mm fan.

I made some changes and got a nice airflow: the PSU and the fan beneath the PSU are getting the air out and the fan beneath the HDD is getting fresh air in. I still wasn't content w\ the temps: 56C on full load, so I also decreased the Vcore from 1.750(Default) to 1.550(min the boardcan do). It's much more stable now(300W PSU is less stressed) and temps go as high as 44C on full load.

Not long ago I discovered that the CPU can operate safely @ 1.85V, So i thought of the OCing potential. I'm now thinking of getting an ASUS A7N8XE-deluxe mobo, along w\ an OCZ Dual Channel Kit 2x256MB @ 400MHz and a Volcano 11+ cooler.

Current specs:
Athlon XP 1600+
MSI K7T Turbo 2
256 MB stupid SDRAM, stupid 3-3-3-6 timings and stupid PQI low quality
MSI GeForce2 MX-400 Pro
Caviar 27 GB HDD 7200rpm

Any of you think this upgrade is worthy??Any Comments?? I'm not bluffing about the low temps.

endyen

Splendid
Sounds like a great plan. Then all you'll need is an xp-m chip. You might want to think about the Abit NF7-S. It's a little cheaper, and runs a little cooler. It does undervolt though, so confirm v-core.

Mr_Nuke

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
I will get the money for this, so a bit cheaper is not my concern, but thanks for the advice, a friend of mine is short on budget, so he might consider the Abit version.

About the new chip, yes I will get a new one, eventually. But I'll OC it as much as I can, perhaps watercool it, so it's the last on my list of upgrades. I'm worried of the 300W PSU, the 12V line to be specific - it goes as low as 11.70 on idle, and if it goes bellow 11.50 it shuts down. And it shuts down very often right now. A 480W PSU, after wich, a better video card(not decided wich one), and only then the newer CPU and a Raptor HDD.

my currect Volts are:

3.3@ 3.10
5 @ 4.81
12 @ 12.35/-12.61
2.5@ 2.59

My volts are all screwed - Stupid Generic 500W. But my system seems stable.

My dick is so big, that my dick has a dick. And my dicks' dick is bigger than yours.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
It does undervolt though, so confirm v-core.

confirmed undervolting. mine is always .5v under what the bios says

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>