Dell "Did Me!"

New 8300. USB ports are NOT 2.0. verified using below instructions.

There is a download for usb. Perhaps this is needed??

You are searching for:

Release Title: Application: Dell Support 2.0, Windows XP, English,
Dimension 8300 / 8300N, v. (2.0.176.10 (D8300)), A20

Release Date: 4/24/2003

Category: Applications

Determining the USB Ports for Windows® 2000/XP

Left-click the Device Manager icon.

NOTE: Windows XP users may need to click Start to access the My
Computer icon.

Right-click the My Computer icon and select Manage.

Left-click the plus (+) sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

If Enhanced Host Controller and/or USB 2.0 Root Hub Device is listed,
then the computer has USB 2.0 ports.

If Universal Host Controller and/or Open Host Controller is listed,
then the computer has USB 1.1 ports.
6 answers Last reply
More about dell

    I would suspect you just have the wrong drivers, not that the ports are not
    USB2. USB2 ports with USB1.1 drivers act and look like USB1.1 ports.

    If you did a clean install, did you do the Motherboard drivers FIRST (have
    to be first, have to be installed to get USB2)

    Then you have to have both SP1 for XP AND the additional USB2 update
    available on Windows update

    Then, and only then, will you have USB2 ports.

    I would ask other 8300 owners to check their system. I believe they will all
    find all the ports are USB2.

    Tom

    > "Ronaldo" <rons@audit2.mailshell.com> wrote in message
    > > New 8300. USB ports are NOT 2.0. verified using below instructions.
    > >
    > > There is a download for usb. Perhaps this is needed??
    > > You are searching for:
    > >
    > > Release Title: Application: Dell Support 2.0, Windows XP, English,
    > > Dimension 8300 / 8300N, v. (2.0.176.10 (D8300)), A20
    > > Release Date: 4/24/2003
    > > Category: Applications
    > > Determining the USB Ports for Windows® 2000/XP
    > > Left-click the Device Manager icon.
    > > NOTE: Windows XP users may need to click Start to access the My
    > > Computer icon.
    > > Right-click the My Computer icon and select Manage.
    > > Left-click the plus (+) sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
    > > If Enhanced Host Controller and/or USB 2.0 Root Hub Device is listed,
    > > then the computer has USB 2.0 ports.
    > > If Universal Host Controller and/or Open Host Controller is listed,
    > > then the computer has USB 1.1 ports.

    > I would suspect you just have the wrong drivers, not that the ports are
    not
    > USB2. USB2 ports with USB1.1 drivers act and look like USB1.1 ports.
    >
    > If you did a clean install, did you do the Motherboard drivers FIRST (have
    > to be first, have to be installed to get USB2)
    >
    > Then you have to have both SP1 for XP AND the additional USB2 update
    > available on Windows update
    >
    > Then, and only then, will you have USB2 ports.
    >
    > I would ask other 8300 owners to check their system. I believe they will
    all
    > find all the ports are USB2.
    >
    > Tom

    My 4550 list USB as Enhanced 2.0 (w/ all that stuff installed). I'd have to
    think the 8300 is 2.0.

    --

    Rob
    Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"

    No, you "did" yourself! You must have the only 8300 ever made with 1.1
    ports.

    "Ronaldo" <rons@audit2.mailshell.com> wrote in message
    > New 8300. USB ports are NOT 2.0. verified using below instructions.
    >
    > There is a download for usb. Perhaps this is needed??
    >

    > You are searching for:
    >

    > Release Title: Application: Dell Support 2.0, Windows XP, English,
    > Dimension 8300 / 8300N, v. (2.0.176.10 (D8300)), A20
    >
    > Release Date: 4/24/2003
    >
    > Category: Applications
    >

    > Determining the USB Ports for Windows® 2000/XP
    >
    > Left-click the Device Manager icon.
    >
    > NOTE: Windows XP users may need to click Start to access the My
    > Computer icon.
    >

    > Right-click the My Computer icon and select Manage.
    >
    > Left-click the plus (+) sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
    >
    > If Enhanced Host Controller and/or USB 2.0 Root Hub Device is listed,
    > then the computer has USB 2.0 ports.
    >
    > If Universal Host Controller and/or Open Host Controller is listed,
    > then the computer has USB 1.1 ports.

    Tom,

    I guess when I reinstalled my system I did the reinstall of USB 2 in the
    wrong order and that is why it is not working correctly. Is there any thing
    I can do now besides start over? The technician that was helping me did
    not tell me to reinstall the USB driver so later after doing the updates I
    installed it and probably got it in the wrong order so now all of my ports
    are not USB 2.

    Any advice without having to reinstall would be most welcome.

    > I would suspect you just have the wrong drivers, not that the ports are
    not
    > USB2. USB2 ports with USB1.1 drivers act and look like USB1.1 ports.
    >
    > If you did a clean install, did you do the Motherboard drivers FIRST (have
    > to be first, have to be installed to get USB2)
    >
    > Then you have to have both SP1 for XP AND the additional USB2 update
    > available on Windows update
    >
    > Then, and only then, will you have USB2 ports.

    Sorry, I posted the last post before I saw this.

    Try downloading the motherboard drivers from Dell's site and reinstalling.
    Then delete the USB ports (pretty much everything under USB in device
    manager) and let XP 'refind' them.

    Might work, might not.

    > Sorry, I posted the last post before I saw this.
    >
    > Try downloading the motherboard drivers from Dell's site and reinstalling.
    > Then delete the USB ports (pretty much everything under USB in device
    > manager) and let XP 'refind' them.
    >
    > Might work, might not.

    Thanks Tom,

    I think I tried this already, but will attempt it again.
    I have just been living with it for the last month. I turned off the sound
    on the error ding that I had to listen to everytime I turn my monitor off
    and on also the error message balloon and even though I don't have USB 2. I
    can live with not having the error message.

Dell Computer USB Computers