Sign in with
Your question

Help with connecting the monitor to ps3

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 27, 2011 11:27:09 AM

i have a hp s2032 flat screen monitor

here in the video under it shows that there can be two inputs in the lcd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnkcd4qoMP0&feature=rela...

and it can connect to the monitor with the help of a cable

but again i donot have the monitor with 2 inputs

any clue as to what to do

More about : connecting monitor ps3

a b î Playstation
a c 99 C Monitor
June 27, 2011 2:35:28 PM

you just stated that in the video the monitor had two inputs, but your monitor does not. this means that you would need either a switch or a splitter.

check to make sure your monitor is hdcp compliant as the ps3 requires this. if it is not then you could get no picture (or other issues maybe).
Related resources
a b C Monitor
June 27, 2011 4:28:29 PM

If your monitor only has a vga input, you need a ps3 vga adapter. It would use the same output port from your ps3 as you'd use for component cables, and you don't really need hdcp - I think that's only necessary for watching blu-ray movies at full resolution, not for playing games on the ps3.
June 27, 2011 4:57:36 PM

so all i need is the hdmi to vga cable ??

what about the sound, and also everytime i will have to remove the cable from outside and replug when i want to use the desktop
a b C Monitor
June 27, 2011 6:04:41 PM

actually, you need a special ps3 to vga cable - hdmi is pure digital and can't be converted to vga (analog) with just a cable. the ps3 has a separate output that can take cables with composite, component, or vga (+3.5mm audio, I'm guessing).

As far as unplugging and replugging the cable, you could get a KVM switch, such as this:
http://www.buy.com/prod/trendnet-tk-209k-2-port-usb-kvm...
You probably wouldn't need the usb ports of that, but you could still use the vga and audio inputs, and switching the monitor between pc and ps3 would just be a button push.
a b î Playstation
a c 99 C Monitor
June 27, 2011 7:04:24 PM

@mauve

i dont know which features the ps3 requires hdcp for but from the little bit of research i did on the issue it appeared like the general consensus for no image displaying on screen was non-hdcp-compliance. if i remember correctly this affected even a few games, but its been a few months so i'm not sure.
a b C Monitor
June 27, 2011 7:54:51 PM

The ps3 supports component and vga output, neither of which supports hdcp to begin with. If it refuses to show the image over hdmi with a non-hdcp-compliant display, I can believe that, but it's not the correct way of handling it. I believe a failed hdcp handshake is supposed to result in lower resolution (480i/p), not a complete lack of image.
a b C Monitor
June 28, 2011 1:33:32 PM

alaap988 said:
@ mauve cloud

bud i did a little searching

is this the same ?
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-port-automatic-kvm-switc...

That one doesn't handle the audio switching, you might prefer a manual switch, and I'd worry about the reviews that say it sometimes needs a power connection purchased separately.
June 28, 2011 1:58:32 PM

dude, the problem in all this is i live in india, mumbai
and i really have to dig deep to search for these things, that i really have my doubts that i will get here

any clue what to do
June 28, 2011 4:42:09 PM

bud, do u know that 1dollar = 46 rupees

and also if i take two of these i can afford a new monitor :) ), its almost 55$

anyway, there is this one place in mumbai where i can find this for a cheaper price, the good part is that it is available in india
so i can very well try at a few places and check out the prices

so yea man thanks a lot, also i will keep buggin you about this if i cant seem to figure out something
July 15, 2011 2:16:11 PM

bud forgot to ask you
is there any switcher with a hdmi input ??

and also on dealextreme they are giving me shipping all the way here in india
so if you could give me some link of a similar site i would be glad bud
!