Athlon XP 2700+ to 3200+ upgrade, is it worth it?

soup

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
Currently, I'm running an Athlon XP 2700+/333 Thoroughbred on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard (Revision 2.0 with version C1007 BIOS) and I've been thinking about upgrading my CPU to an Athlon XP 3200+/400 Barton in order to extend the potential/lifespan of my setup, but I have mixed feelings about it.

I know the frequencies of both of these CPUs are so close that it really doesn't make much sense to upgrade based on clock speed alone; it's the difference in FSB speeds and cache size that appeals to me. Also, I'm running two 512 MB Micron PC3200 RAM modules and I'd like to take advantage of my systems full potential by jumping up to a 400 FSB.

My question is, is it worth it? I know I'd see an improvement in benchmark tests, but would I *really* notice the difference in real-world performance (gaming, etc.)? I'm quite sure that my motherboard's upgradability is pretty much over, now that the Athlon XP 64 chips are out, so I'd like squeeze as much out of it as possible before I take the plunge on an XP 64 setup.

I did order a Thermalright SP-97 heatsink, Vantec Tornado 92mm fan and a fan controller today in hopes of overclocking my 2700+, in case the 3200+ route doesn't work out, but I've heard that pushing a 2700+ to 200 FSB could cause problems with with PC3200 RAM (something about running this CPU and RAM at 200/200), is this true?

Tavelkyosoba

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
dont buy a new chip, it wont even help that much on benches...and as far as overclocking goes...just overclock as much as it will go and there ya go.

I've got a book of matches,
I've got a can of kerosene,
I've got some bright ideas involving you and me.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Nah. The Mhz is too similar to really notice a difference day to day, even with the increase in system bus and memory bandwidth.

Leave yoru system as is and get a proper upgrade later on when you WILL notice the difference!

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires
it and mortal men covet it, My Precioussssssss!
:evil:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My question is, is it worth it? I know I'd see an improvement in benchmark tests, but would I *really* notice the difference in real-world performance (gaming, etc.)? I'm quite sure that my motherboard's upgradability is pretty much over, now that the Athlon XP 64 chips are out, so I'd like squeeze as much out of it as possible before I take the plunge on an XP 64 setup.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Hey, give it a go! I notice a lot of difference speed-wise even on net surfing!

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
newbie here
redneck here

If it ain't broke don't fix it..... :smile:

<font color=black>yippie ki ya, m..........<font color=black>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
DON'T UPGRADE.

Practically you won't see any performance increase.

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

soup

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
Thanks for the information, everyone. After reading your comments, I'll be sticking with the 2700+. I'll try my luck overclocking it once my heatsink and fan come in the mail.