Tell the truth, dont make me drive to see a pin that you d..

I went for a 2 hour and 30 minute drive today to look at a pinball
machine that was posted here on rgp, the person told me that the
playfield had no wear, the plastics were all good and the cabinet was
great, additionally he told me that the game was shopped. I got there
and found some wear to the wood, some hair line cracks in the playfied,
broken slingshot plastics, majority of inserts worn and some chunks
missing from the cabinet and it looked like it was shopped a year or so
ago (we all have our definition of shopped) The price was attractive
that is what made me go look at it, along with the description of the
game...ie No playfield wear. If i would have known the true
description, i would have never went. I just wish people would be
honest with their descriptions. Pictures show alot, but depending on
the angle, lighting and what part of the game the pictures are taken,
pictures can be very deceiving. I have sold some pinballs, not alot,
but the pinballs that I have sold were as I described, i mean when
people came to my house they were like, it is just as you described.
The good thing about this trip today is that i can go to sleep knowing
that i didnt miss out on a deal. Because of the gas prices, what i
need to start doing is have the person selling me the pin, paypal me
100 dollars and then if the pin is as described, i will refund them
their money however if it isnt, i keep the 100 dollars for my
inconvience...that sounds like a good plan.

brivy

WOW First let me take the knife out of my back ...
I will be happy to post pictures of the playfield and you can pick out
the "worn to the wood sections"
I showed the broken sling plastics in the pictures and you metioned
you knew about them and it was no big deal.
as for insert wear ...I don't know what to say, you kept pointing out
insert wear that didn't exist!
you seem to have wanted a collectors grade piece for the price of an
unshopped container piece!
As for shopping it out, I have only had the machine for a few months
and I did the shopping my self, and you never even mentioned this when
you were here! !!!!

I can't believe you came to my home acted like you did and then
slammed me on the group!

I bought this machine from one of the members of the group and I hope
he reads this he knows how "worn to the wood" this game is, it will at
least give him a laugh!
please don't ask me about a pin again!
Willy

subdural@gmail.com wrote:
> So, the doctor who was that bad?
>
> Wil

No its not...he is!

Just avoid anything from eBay or rgp.....

--
Fred
TX

<brivy37@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1124688212.701389.275600@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I went for a 2 hour and 30 minute drive today to look at a pinball
> machine that was posted here on rgp,

BLACKTIGER

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

This was the game you were asking $900 for right? If so, what do you
expect for $900? Surely not collector grade unless its a LW3 :+)
Soulds like what ever was wrong could easily have been fixed or touched
up and for the price if it was working, it is much cheaper that what
you would pay if you went the Mr pinball or ebay channels.

I once had a buyer that complain about the little holes Williams and
Gottlieb put in the playfield to align the flippers (as though that was
unacceptable and they would have to repair it somehow). -The only
"flaw" he/she could find-. I didn't do it but shoulda' told em' to "go
_hit in his mess kit". I'll let ya' guess what his motives were. Sold
that same game to another guy for $200 more a couple mts. later.

zTim

Keep the $100 for your Inconvience.. HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

I like that one. :)

...and you could not tell him all of this in person ?

Marcel

This is what i am saying, 900 dollars isnt bad for a working pin, and
this pin was working with no errors and it was a decent looking pin
too. I am not saying that it isnt worth the 900 to someone, that is a
fair deal, what i am saying is that based on the description, it made
the game seem so much better than it was and based on the descripiton
and of the low price, that is what made me want to go buy it. I mean
dr who wasnt on any wish list of mine. The machine that williy has is
by no means a dog, it is a decent looking and 100 percent working pin,
but to me, i myself, was like, i was only motivated by the fact that i
was told, no playfield wear at all, and when i got there i was like,
damn, i can see some wear in different spots, regardless of how minor
it may be. If i was told that there was some playfield wear, i would
have probably never even went to go look at it. I mean for 900 dollars,
i dont think that i am going to get some collector quality type of game
but for 900 dollars i thought that there might have been a chance to
get a dr. who with no playfield wear, especially when the person
selling it, says, no playfield wear at all... I did not post my
original post to flame willy or to hinder his sale, my first post did
not mention the game, the location or the person...I was merely venting
because i was on the road anticipating one thing and saw something
different and came home empty handed. I am sure that has happened to
other people, driving a few hours and what you thought you were gonna
see (because you have this image in your mind already) and what you
see is different. I will say this If someone is looking for a Dr. Who,
I saw and played his game and it is worth the 900 dollars. Any
who....as I said in my email to ya Willy, didnt mean to flame you, just
was venting.

brivy

I see the problem here. However, this is all part of the hustle to get
pinball machines. You win some, you lose some as they say. As for
condition, its hard to believe a game has "no" playfield wear.
Especially a game that old. If it was one time on location, its
practically impossible to have "no" playfield wear. The subjectivity
of descriptions will get you every time. Best to stay local so when
you see a game that isn't described, you can just walk away.

- I will say this If someone is looking for a Dr. Who,
-I saw and played his game and it is worth the 900 dollars. Any
-who....as I said in my email to ya Willy, didnt mean to flame you,
just
-was venting.

-brivy

Ok, so if it was worth the 900$, why didn't you buy it? The fact that
you saw some playfield wear, or that the buyer said there was no
playfield wear, you were pissed and didn't buy because of that? in
other words, if the buyer had said a couple spots of wear, would you
have still bought it.

BLACKTIGER

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

I think you did the right thing by not posting Willy's name. I had the
same experience 2 weekends ago. I am looking to buy a Muscle car and I
asked this guy if the car had buckets and a console. Guy said yep on
both. I asked a second time before I hung up and the answer was the
same. Drove an hr and a half and it was a bench seat and column
shift. Thoes things happen and you just deal with it. Most pins even
NIB have flaws that most anyone can find. you just have to decide if
you can deal with them and move on. Everything is in the eye of the
beholder. Good luck in the sale Willy, sounds like you have a nice
looking and well tuned machine. If DW was on my list I would be up
there.

BT

I don't understand the "venting" myself. Gee, the price
being asked, in theis case, was near the value of the game
in parts alone.

I mean, just shake hands and walk away.

You aren't going to make a steal on EVERY pin buy, and
even less likely with those of us that collect them. You
might need to lower your expectations a little bit dealing
with the "pin afflicted" among us.

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
=====================

brivy37@yahoo.com wrote:

I was merely venting
> because i was on the road anticipating one thing and saw something
> different and came home empty handed. I am sure that has happened to
> other people, driving a few hours and what you thought you were gonna
> see (because you have this image in your mind already) and what you
> see is different.

>Because of the gas prices, what i need to start doing
>is have the person selling me the pin, paypal me
>100 dollars and then if the pin is as described, i will
>refund them their money however if it isnt, i keep the
>100 dollars for my inconvience...that sounds like a
>good plan.

Good luck. Like you are ever going to buy a game again with THAT
tactic. Ever heard of digital photos?

Kirb

DW is a pretty good player. That's a better than fair deal IMO. Someone
will get a good game for a fair price.

-

http://www.myhomegameroom.com

BlackTiger wrote:
> I think you did the right thing by not posting Willy's name. I had the
> same experience 2 weekends ago. I am looking to buy a Muscle car and I
> asked this guy if the car had buckets and a console. Guy said yep on
> both. I asked a second time before I hung up and the answer was the
> same. Drove an hr and a half and it was a bench seat and column
> shift. Thoes things happen and you just deal with it. Most pins even
> NIB have flaws that most anyone can find. you just have to decide if
> you can deal with them and move on. Everything is in the eye of the
> beholder. Good luck in the sale Willy, sounds like you have a nice
> looking and well tuned machine. If DW was on my list I would be up
> there.
>
> BT

Mine had the holes for the bars but the bars were in the coin box. Must
have been shipped with incase you decided to install.

-c

Well, not exactly the same thing. These were for the (apparently
optional) installation of the anti-biffing bars and not the flipper
alignment holes. Neither of us realized this at the time and none of
our other Williams titles had these holes. Complicating this further
was the NOS SS field you had there - which also didn't have these
holes. Upon my return I found some info on these posted by Tony D and
some time later an NOS populated SS playfield was offered on eBay and
it had the bars installed. So we learned a few things. That these
holes , along with the flipper alignment holes were not drilled during
playfield production. They were probably drilled during playfield
assembly. Second, that Manic is a gracious host and faced with
unexplainable playfield holes - adjusted his price (although, I recall
it was more like $150 - there was another issue). Third, Manic offered
this nice game for sale, buried in someone else's thread and then
actually sold it to the first (or second) responder. This game now
resides in the collection of B. Nightingale. Where it gets much love
and attention.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_frm/thread/60545dbd5c6fa874/4ea16794d688811a?q=Nightingale&rnum=5#4ea16794d688811a

So we're left with only one question. Which Graham Parker song mentions
pinball in the lyrics?

hmmm. I was actually thinking of another song. So then, name two Graham
Parker songs with pinball in the lyrics. No googling, gotta do it from
your head.

I miss the WWind - great summer game! Glad to hear to she's
trouble-free. Yeah, I'd like to get up there - especially once you add
CV!

> Man that is scary as the *exact* same thing happened to me.
>
> Had a nice fellow come by to buy my SStiff and he noticed the
> "bang back bar holes" down by the flippers. These holes, along
> with the flipper alignment holes, mad it look like a hung over
> Wms employee simply lost it with a drill as they were so
> asymmetrical. No bars in them - just the holes.
> I couldn't place what these holes were at the time and we compared
> them to a BDavis SS PF I have laying around and sure enough - this
> PF *didn't* have them. Go figure ;-)
>
> So I dump $200 off the price as I did indeed try to disclose
> everything in advance and he came from somewhat of a
> distance...
>
> Later in the day I smack my forehead "they were for the bars!"

Problem is Scared Stiff doesn't have those bars...

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=3915&depth=0&picno=11257

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

Who is Graham Parker??

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
===================

tdddddd@yahoo.com wrote:
> hmmm. I was actually thinking of another song. So then, name two Graham
> Parker songs with pinball in the lyrics. No googling, gotta do it from
> your head.

Wow! I haven't heard a reference to Graham Parker in YEARS!!! Another
Grey Area and The Real Macaw are two of my favorites. Better dig 'em
out for my upcoming road trip to Laguna Beach.

English singer/song-writer who released a number of fine albums in the
late 70's - early 80's. Backed by a really tight band (The Rumor), I'm
surprised he hasn't been mentioned here before. With one (make that
two) songs that have pinball in the lyrics, he certainly deserves an
honorable mention.

"Six weeks solitary in the dark / a pinball's gained and lost the vital
spark
Like a crazy fever on the planet today / you better get a clear head
hey"