Tell the truth, dont make me drive to see a pin that you d..

I went for a 2 hour and 30 minute drive today to look at a pinball
machine that was posted here on rgp, the person told me that the
playfield had no wear, the plastics were all good and the cabinet was
great, additionally he told me that the game was shopped. I got there
and found some wear to the wood, some hair line cracks in the playfied,
broken slingshot plastics, majority of inserts worn and some chunks
missing from the cabinet and it looked like it was shopped a year or so
ago (we all have our definition of shopped) The price was attractive
that is what made me go look at it, along with the description of the
game...ie No playfield wear. If i would have known the true
description, i would have never went. I just wish people would be
honest with their descriptions. Pictures show alot, but depending on
the angle, lighting and what part of the game the pictures are taken,
pictures can be very deceiving. I have sold some pinballs, not alot,
but the pinballs that I have sold were as I described, i mean when
people came to my house they were like, it is just as you described.
The good thing about this trip today is that i can go to sleep knowing
that i didnt miss out on a deal. Because of the gas prices, what i
need to start doing is have the person selling me the pin, paypal me
100 dollars and then if the pin is as described, i will refund them
their money however if it isnt, i keep the 100 dollars for my
inconvience...that sounds like a good plan.

brivy
30 answers Last reply
More about tell truth dont make drive

    So, the doctor who was that bad?

    Wil

    WOW First let me take the knife out of my back ...
    I will be happy to post pictures of the playfield and you can pick out
    the "worn to the wood sections"
    I showed the broken sling plastics in the pictures and you metioned
    you knew about them and it was no big deal.
    as for insert wear ...I don't know what to say, you kept pointing out
    insert wear that didn't exist!
    you seem to have wanted a collectors grade piece for the price of an
    unshopped container piece!
    As for shopping it out, I have only had the machine for a few months
    and I did the shopping my self, and you never even mentioned this when
    you were here! !!!!

    I can't believe you came to my home acted like you did and then
    slammed me on the group!

    I bought this machine from one of the members of the group and I hope
    he reads this he knows how "worn to the wood" this game is, it will at
    least give him a laugh!
    please don't ask me about a pin again!
    Willy

    subdural@gmail.com wrote:
    > So, the doctor who was that bad?
    >
    > Wil

    No its not...he is!

    Just avoid anything from eBay or rgp.....

    --
    Fred
    TX

    <brivy37@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1124688212.701389.275600@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > I went for a 2 hour and 30 minute drive today to look at a pinball
    > machine that was posted here on rgp,

    This was the game you were asking $900 for right? If so, what do you
    expect for $900? Surely not collector grade unless its a LW3 :+)
    Soulds like what ever was wrong could easily have been fixed or touched
    up and for the price if it was working, it is much cheaper that what
    you would pay if you went the Mr pinball or ebay channels.

    I once had a buyer that complain about the little holes Williams and
    Gottlieb put in the playfield to align the flippers (as though that was
    unacceptable and they would have to repair it somehow). -The only
    "flaw" he/she could find-. I didn't do it but shoulda' told em' to "go
    _hit in his mess kit". I'll let ya' guess what his motives were. Sold
    that same game to another guy for $200 more a couple mts. later.

    zTim

    Keep the $100 for your Inconvience.. HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

    I like that one. :-)

    ...and you could not tell him all of this in person ?

    Marcel

    This is what i am saying, 900 dollars isnt bad for a working pin, and
    this pin was working with no errors and it was a decent looking pin
    too. I am not saying that it isnt worth the 900 to someone, that is a
    fair deal, what i am saying is that based on the description, it made
    the game seem so much better than it was and based on the descripiton
    and of the low price, that is what made me want to go buy it. I mean
    dr who wasnt on any wish list of mine. The machine that williy has is
    by no means a dog, it is a decent looking and 100 percent working pin,
    but to me, i myself, was like, i was only motivated by the fact that i
    was told, no playfield wear at all, and when i got there i was like,
    damn, i can see some wear in different spots, regardless of how minor
    it may be. If i was told that there was some playfield wear, i would
    have probably never even went to go look at it. I mean for 900 dollars,
    i dont think that i am going to get some collector quality type of game
    but for 900 dollars i thought that there might have been a chance to
    get a dr. who with no playfield wear, especially when the person
    selling it, says, no playfield wear at all... I did not post my
    original post to flame willy or to hinder his sale, my first post did
    not mention the game, the location or the person...I was merely venting
    because i was on the road anticipating one thing and saw something
    different and came home empty handed. I am sure that has happened to
    other people, driving a few hours and what you thought you were gonna
    see (because you have this image in your mind already) and what you
    see is different. I will say this If someone is looking for a Dr. Who,
    I saw and played his game and it is worth the 900 dollars. Any
    who....as I said in my email to ya Willy, didnt mean to flame you, just
    was venting.

    brivy

    I see the problem here. However, this is all part of the hustle to get
    pinball machines. You win some, you lose some as they say. As for
    condition, its hard to believe a game has "no" playfield wear.
    Especially a game that old. If it was one time on location, its
    practically impossible to have "no" playfield wear. The subjectivity
    of descriptions will get you every time. Best to stay local so when
    you see a game that isn't described, you can just walk away.

    - I will say this If someone is looking for a Dr. Who,
    -I saw and played his game and it is worth the 900 dollars. Any
    -who....as I said in my email to ya Willy, didnt mean to flame you,
    just
    -was venting.

    -brivy

    Ok, so if it was worth the 900$, why didn't you buy it? The fact that
    you saw some playfield wear, or that the buyer said there was no
    playfield wear, you were pissed and didn't buy because of that? in
    other words, if the buyer had said a couple spots of wear, would you
    have still bought it.

    I think you did the right thing by not posting Willy's name. I had the
    same experience 2 weekends ago. I am looking to buy a Muscle car and I
    asked this guy if the car had buckets and a console. Guy said yep on
    both. I asked a second time before I hung up and the answer was the
    same. Drove an hr and a half and it was a bench seat and column
    shift. Thoes things happen and you just deal with it. Most pins even
    NIB have flaws that most anyone can find. you just have to decide if
    you can deal with them and move on. Everything is in the eye of the
    beholder. Good luck in the sale Willy, sounds like you have a nice
    looking and well tuned machine. If DW was on my list I would be up
    there.

    BT

    I don't understand the "venting" myself. Gee, the price
    being asked, in theis case, was near the value of the game
    in parts alone.

    I mean, just shake hands and walk away.

    You aren't going to make a steal on EVERY pin buy, and
    even less likely with those of us that collect them. You
    might need to lower your expectations a little bit dealing
    with the "pin afflicted" among us.

    Fred
    TX
    CARGPB#8
    =====================

    brivy37@yahoo.com wrote:

    I was merely venting
    > because i was on the road anticipating one thing and saw something
    > different and came home empty handed. I am sure that has happened to
    > other people, driving a few hours and what you thought you were gonna
    > see (because you have this image in your mind already) and what you
    > see is different.

    >Because of the gas prices, what i need to start doing
    >is have the person selling me the pin, paypal me
    >100 dollars and then if the pin is as described, i will
    >refund them their money however if it isnt, i keep the
    >100 dollars for my inconvience...that sounds like a
    >good plan.

    Good luck. Like you are ever going to buy a game again with THAT
    tactic. Ever heard of digital photos?

    Kirb

    I thought that tactic was quite amusing myself. ehheheh

    Kirb, the 100 paypal thing was a joke...

    brivy

    DW is a pretty good player. That's a better than fair deal IMO. Someone
    will get a good game for a fair price.

    -

    http://www.myhomegameroom.com

    BlackTiger wrote:
    > I think you did the right thing by not posting Willy's name. I had the
    > same experience 2 weekends ago. I am looking to buy a Muscle car and I
    > asked this guy if the car had buckets and a console. Guy said yep on
    > both. I asked a second time before I hung up and the answer was the
    > same. Drove an hr and a half and it was a bench seat and column
    > shift. Thoes things happen and you just deal with it. Most pins even
    > NIB have flaws that most anyone can find. you just have to decide if
    > you can deal with them and move on. Everything is in the eye of the
    > beholder. Good luck in the sale Willy, sounds like you have a nice
    > looking and well tuned machine. If DW was on my list I would be up
    > there.
    >
    > BT

    Mine had the holes for the bars but the bars were in the coin box. Must
    have been shipped with incase you decided to install.

    -c

    Well, not exactly the same thing. These were for the (apparently
    optional) installation of the anti-biffing bars and not the flipper
    alignment holes. Neither of us realized this at the time and none of
    our other Williams titles had these holes. Complicating this further
    was the NOS SS field you had there - which also didn't have these
    holes. Upon my return I found some info on these posted by Tony D and
    some time later an NOS populated SS playfield was offered on eBay and
    it had the bars installed. So we learned a few things. That these
    holes , along with the flipper alignment holes were not drilled during
    playfield production. They were probably drilled during playfield
    assembly. Second, that Manic is a gracious host and faced with
    unexplainable playfield holes - adjusted his price (although, I recall
    it was more like $150 - there was another issue). Third, Manic offered
    this nice game for sale, buried in someone else's thread and then
    actually sold it to the first (or second) responder. This game now
    resides in the collection of B. Nightingale. Where it gets much love
    and attention.

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_frm/thread/60545dbd5c6fa874/4ea16794d688811a?q=Nightingale&rnum=5#4ea16794d688811a

    So we're left with only one question. Which Graham Parker song mentions
    pinball in the lyrics?

    hmmm. I was actually thinking of another song. So then, name two Graham
    Parker songs with pinball in the lyrics. No googling, gotta do it from
    your head.

    I miss the WWind - great summer game! Glad to hear to she's
    trouble-free. Yeah, I'd like to get up there - especially once you add
    CV!

    > Man that is scary as the *exact* same thing happened to me.
    >
    > Had a nice fellow come by to buy my SStiff and he noticed the
    > "bang back bar holes" down by the flippers. These holes, along
    > with the flipper alignment holes, mad it look like a hung over
    > Wms employee simply lost it with a drill as they were so
    > asymmetrical. No bars in them - just the holes.
    > I couldn't place what these holes were at the time and we compared
    > them to a BDavis SS PF I have laying around and sure enough - this
    > PF *didn't* have them. Go figure ;-)
    >
    > So I dump $200 off the price as I did indeed try to disclose
    > everything in advance and he came from somewhat of a
    > distance...
    >
    > Later in the day I smack my forehead "they were for the bars!"

    Problem is Scared Stiff doesn't have those bars...

    http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=3915&depth=0&picno=11257

    --
    Mike S.
    Kalamazoo, MI

    Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
    W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
    M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

    Who is Graham Parker??

    Fred
    TX
    CARGPB#8
    ===================

    tdddddd@yahoo.com wrote:
    > hmmm. I was actually thinking of another song. So then, name two Graham
    > Parker songs with pinball in the lyrics. No googling, gotta do it from
    > your head.

    Wow! I haven't heard a reference to Graham Parker in YEARS!!! Another
    Grey Area and The Real Macaw are two of my favorites. Better dig 'em
    out for my upcoming road trip to Laguna Beach.

    English singer/song-writer who released a number of fine albums in the
    late 70's - early 80's. Backed by a really tight band (The Rumor), I'm
    surprised he hasn't been mentioned here before. With one (make that
    two) songs that have pinball in the lyrics, he certainly deserves an
    honorable mention.

    "Six weeks solitary in the dark / a pinball's gained and lost the vital
    spark
    Like a crazy fever on the planet today / you better get a clear head
    hey"

    > So we're left with only one question. Which Graham Parker song mentions
    > pinball in the lyrics?

    Back in time.

    What do I win Todd?

    Let me know if you ever want to stop by and play your WWind, she still plays
    like a champ. ;-)

    Skeets

    > I miss the WWind - great summer game! Glad to hear to she's
    > trouble-free. Yeah, I'd like to get up there - especially once you add
    > CV!

    OK, now you have to come by, I just picked up a CV on Saturday!

    Funny thing is, I thought it was nice when I picked it up, but when I
    started inspecting it closer, it is REALLY nice. I thought it had an
    aftermarket coin door on it, because the door was in pristine condition, no
    coin marks going in or out. then I looked closer, and the serial #'s all
    match, even the one on the coin door. When I was driving home I also noticed
    it didnt smell at all. I am going to post some pics later on the NG in a new
    thread, the cabinet is REALLY nice, barely a mark on it.

    I would like to know if the coin door is original, because if it is, there
    has never been a coin through it as far as I can tell.

    Just shoot me an e-mail if you are ever gonna be in the Sussex county area,
    you are more than welcome to come by.

    Skeets

    I think it's close to impossible to get one with no wear. Even on the
    best machines there's usually at least 1, 2, or 3 wear spots where the
    ball drops into the time expander, and that's right in the middle of
    the playfield, so it's hard to miss.

    On 22 Aug 2005 05:53:27 -0700, brivy37@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I mean for 900 dollars,
    >i dont think that i am going to get some collector quality type of game
    >but for 900 dollars i thought that there might have been a chance to
    >get a dr. who with no playfield wear, especially when the person
    >selling it, says, no playfield wear at all...

    Ahhhh. Another quality Stern product. I will say that the LoTR
    I had was really abused. It probably saw 400 games played.
    I mean how long is a display supposed to last?

    Harry whose hoping Elvis stays in the house longer than LoTR.

    >I think the only real bargain I've seen over here lately is
    > when you literally kicked that malfunctioning LOTR to the
    > curb ;-)

    worked out fine. Even the wife had something positive to say about that
    deal ("nice towel")

    <tdddddd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > worked out fine. Even the wife had something positive to say about that
    > deal ("nice towel")

    Hmmm - maybe I screwed up and used one of our good towels then ;-)

Video Games