Onkyo TX-NR808 A/V Receiver problem

Hey Guys,

I have a Onkyo TX-NR808 A/V Receiver and I am having problems with it.

It locks down into CBL/SAT Preset after a few minutes of using it and It won't respond to any Buttons I push on the Remote and even on the Receiver itself except for the MAIN Power Button. If I leave it off for a long time and turn it on again it works fine but after 5-10 minutes of using it will do the lock down which make it unusable again.

The Products that are plugged in it are:

Bose Acoustimass 10 Home Theater Speakers
PS3
Sony Bravia 40" LCD TV
Sony DVD Player

right now the PS3 is not plugged in because like I said, it locks down after 10 minutes making it unusable. The TV only relies on the Receiver whenever I use my PS3 or the DVD Player. I was thinking of resetting the settings of the Receiver to factory settings but It took a hell of a time to setup the Audio Presets in this thing and wondering if there is a better solution to this.

I've got this Receiver since April 2012 and its working fine but somewhere in August this lock down keeps on happening. Am I doing something wrong? And is there any fix for this problem?
6 answers Last reply
More about onkyo nr808 receiver problem
  1. Unhook the speakers entirely. Turn the unit on and wait, does it shut down again?
    You may have a defective speaker system.
    Try an entirely different set of speakers.
    What you are describing is a defect speaker, that is overheating the amplifier. OR perhaps, a bad speaker wire that is shorted, or a blown speaker...etc...
    The amp shuts itself off for protection against a defective speaker or speaker wire.
  2. The Receiver doesn't shut itself down. It is more like locking itself and switching to CBL/SAT Preset and the remote and receiver buttons don't work.

The Speakers are working. Like I said, the Receiver works fine for atleast 10 mins and after that it will automatically switch its Preset to CBL/SAT (which is presets for Cable and Satellite TVs I believe).

I don't think disconnecting Speakers will help. Its a Bose Acoustimass 10 Home Theater Speakers and has tons of wires. I did not assemble the system so I am not familiar with its cables...
  3. BUMP! :O
  4. I am having the exact same problem, just started. If I unplug the system from the wall and wait a few minutes, it then works fine for about 10 minutes or so. When I turn it off, it stays off for a few minutes but then turns itself back on and locks down in CBL/SAT mode. So if you get any answers, can you let me know.

Thanks,
    Mike

IvyDeneb said:
    The Receiver doesn't shut itself down. It is more like locking itself and switching to CBL/SAT Preset and the remote and receiver buttons don't work.

The Speakers are working. Like I said, the Receiver works fine for atleast 10 mins and after that it will automatically switch its Preset to CBL/SAT (which is presets for Cable and Satellite TVs I believe).

I don't think disconnecting Speakers will help. Its a Bose Acoustimass 10 Home Theater Speakers and has tons of wires. I did not assemble the system so I am not familiar with its cables...
  5. Hmm... so is this a known issue on Onkyo A/V Receivers? I just got this Receiver a few months ago and now this happened.. :(
  6. I got mine fixed, it was apparently the IDE cable connector that connects the front panel controls to the motherboard. Onkyo has a two year warranty so mine was covered and fixed for free. This is supposedly a known issue with all the "8" series systems. So mine seems OK for now, just got it back and hooked it up on Saturday, so far so good.
Ask a new question

Read More

High-End Audio Audio