dell technical support -- question

hello,
i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
technical support had deteriorated.
would anyone know whether that is the case?
THANKS!
26 answers Last reply
More about dell technical support question

    "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > hello,
    > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    > technical support had deteriorated.
    > would anyone know whether that is the case?

    "Deteriorated" is putting it mildly. Nearly non-existent is more like
    it. Individuals get Indians who get paid for getting rid of callers as fast
    as possible, regardless of whether or not they solve your problem. Corporate
    users talk to Americans who get paid for solving problems.

    Dennis

    "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > hello,
    > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    > technical support had deteriorated.
    > would anyone know whether that is the case?
    > THANKS!

    The support industry as a whole has gone downhill. Dell remains the best of
    what's out there, imo.

    Stew

    "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > hello,
    > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    > technical support had deteriorated.
    > would anyone know whether that is the case?
    > THANKS!

    Use email support when ever possible. Over all it takes longer to resolve
    your problem but much less of your actual time and certainly less
    frustrating trying to understand someone poor English.

    In my experience, you will receive a replay with in 12-24 hours, many times
    much faster. The initial reply will be the same exact script of actions
    that the support person is going to have you go through. The advantage is
    you can skip steps that have already been tried or make no since.

    My other suggestion is this NG. There are alot of knowledge people who
    frequent this group and are more then willing to help out.

    --

    Rob
    Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:56:54 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
    wrote:

    >"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> hello,
    >> i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    >> technical support had deteriorated.
    >> would anyone know whether that is the case?
    >> THANKS!
    >>

    >The support industry as a whole has gone downhill. Dell remains the best of
    >what's out there, imo.
    >

    >Stew

    I recently needed Dell T/S, and by the time we hung up, all was and
    still is working as it should. There are never any guarantees of
    course, but they came through on this one.

    Technobarbarian wrote:

    > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > hello,
    > > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    > > technical support had deteriorated.
    > > would anyone know whether that is the case?
    >
    > "Deteriorated" is putting it mildly. Nearly non-existent is more like
    > it. Individuals get Indians who get paid for getting rid of callers as fast
    > as possible, regardless of whether or not they solve your problem. Corporate
    > users talk to Americans who get paid for solving problems.

    Those "corporate users" include buyers through the Small Business Division,
    something that anyone can do.

    Larry

    Most OEM technical support is nearly non-existent.
    Dell is better than most, but unless you are quite computer literate, you
    will find them of little help. By that I mean you will have to trouble shoot
    and be able to open your computer and work with it's insides as directed by
    the tech that you contact.

    Also, this URL might give you an insight to the problems with Dell's Tech
    Support.

    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/dell_svc.html

    "J. Bronson" <jebronson@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Dell support is non-existent, via enail!
    >
    > The problem was, a loud pop and flash, the smell of burning
    > electronics components, and now the system randomly shuts.
    >
    > (bad power supply, computer repair 101)
    >
    > I sent the first email and got back a reply. I did what they asked and
    > sent the results.
    >
    > I get a email back a email stating the person helping me has left for
    > the day but this person will try and help. This person sent back the
    > EXACT same request for info. I emailed back saying I had just supplied
    > that info.
    >
    > Yep. you guessed it that person had left for the day. but if I would
    > do th these test I will try and help. Again the SAME requset for info.
    > Again I sent it.
    >
    > Again that person has left for the day, the next request was to
    > reformat the hard drive and reload everything.
    >
    > I emailed back and told them this was DUMB!!! and asked to have this
    > problem bumped up to the next level.
    >
    > Yep, again that person would try and help. However if I did not do as
    > ask and preform all the instruction there was nothing theu could do to
    > help. IE reformat and reload windows.
    >

    > This went on for days, never the same person twice, and being ask to
    > preforn the same tests over for each new tech.

    I must just have the magic touch then because I NEVER have such problems
    with email support. As a mater of fact I use email to avoid such problems.

    Some how I don't think magic has anything to do with it.

    --

    Rob
    Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"
    A: "Hey ya'all watch this!!"

    > an issue.!
    >
    > Next I was asked to reboot and go into the bios and do some things.
    > like a P.O.S.T. I asked what that was and could I do it some other way
    > because the computer would no longer boot, or show any signs of life.
    >
    > AHHH, now we are getting some where.
    >
    > I ended up with 47 pages of emails and two hours on the phone with an
    > out-sourced tech.. fifteen minutes with a local tech. ordering a new
    > power supply and mother board.
    >
    > This wa 4pm PST, by 8:30 am the next day the new parts had been
    > installed.
    >

    > Just for the fun of it, I emailed tech support and ask it they could
    > direct me to a notice I had read regarding two icons for the CD RW
    > drive.
    >
    > Yep you guessed it, a most serious problem,, must reformat and reload
    > Windows.
    >

    > The service is good ONCE you get past the incompetency of the call
    > screeners.
    >
    > Thanks, now I feel better
    > jerry
    >

    > On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:31:37 -0400, Tanya
    > <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    > >hello,
    > >i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    > >technical support had deteriorated.
    > >would anyone know whether that is the case?
    > >THANKS!

    Gee. Only one complaint in the last year and a half.

    "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Most OEM technical support is nearly non-existent.
    > Dell is better than most, but unless you are quite computer literate, you
    > will find them of little help. By that I mean you will have to trouble
    shoot
    > and be able to open your computer and work with it's insides as directed
    by
    > the tech that you contact.
    >
    > Also, this URL might give you an insight to the problems with Dell's Tech
    > Support.
    >
    > http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/dell_svc.html
    >
    > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > hello,
    > > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    > > technical support had deteriorated.
    > > would anyone know whether that is the case?
    > > THANKS!

    I guess that I missed something. I can't find anything on that page that
    says how many "complaints" they have or have not received. The only thing
    that I can figure is that you have assumed that all complaints that are
    received are reprinted on that page. That is a lot of assuming.

    You might want to glance at the last paragraph of this page.

    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/dell.htm

    "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Gee. Only one complaint in the last year and a half.
    >
    > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Most OEM technical support is nearly non-existent.
    > > Dell is better than most, but unless you are quite computer literate,
    you
    > > will find them of little help. By that I mean you will have to trouble
    > shoot
    > > and be able to open your computer and work with it's insides as directed
    > by
    > > the tech that you contact.
    > >
    > > Also, this URL might give you an insight to the problems with Dell's
    Tech
    > > Support.
    > >
    > > http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/dell_svc.html
    > >
    > > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > > hello,
    > > > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    > > > technical support had deteriorated.
    > > > would anyone know whether that is the case?
    > > > THANKS!

    it is much harder today for first time buyers to purchase a pc. the fact
    that most buyers are repeat buyers (if not students) and that prices have
    plummeted, and computers have become commodities all means that support is
    now bare bones from any manufacturer. they will help with software
    questions that are in my opinion out of the reasonable boundaries of their
    responsibility but when the question is poorly articulated or becoming too
    time consuming to troubleshoot the call will be cut short with a 'reload
    your system software and call us back if you still have problems.' computer
    companies do not answer 'how do i' type questions. they do stand behind the
    hardware with whatever level of service you purchase. the frustration comes
    in when it is unclear if problem is hardware or software. having said all
    that, say what you want about dell support, but it still remains the best in
    the industry. but keep in mind that being the best doesn't necessarily mean
    they are any good. as for news groups, this is the only lively one of the
    majors (the hp and gateway groups are sadly dead, at least in terms of
    answers to questions). this lively groups helps support dell in a very
    candid way that understandably a manufacturer could not do directly due to
    the need to protect themselves from exposure to more problems by suggesting
    something that is extreme. and dell also has a lively dell discussion board
    hosted on their own servers as well as on-line documentation and downloads
    that are much easier to navigate than any of the competitors.

    "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > hello,
    > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    > technical support had deteriorated.
    > would anyone know whether that is the case?
    > THANKS!

    The 2 or 3 times over the past 8 years or so that I have needed tech
    support, they were able to help me first time out. I have spoken with India
    twice I believe, and they were helpful and in fact had hardware orders
    waiting for the US techs when they opened in the morning. That expedited the
    whole affair. Tech support has slid in the industry but Dell still remains
    one of the best and I have dealt with other companies. And a darn sight
    better than support you never get from local VARs (value added retailers).
    Now ask me about ISP tech support...grrr.

    Regards,
    John O.

    "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > hello,
    > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    > technical support had deteriorated.
    > would anyone know whether that is the case?
    > THANKS!

    Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    > technical support had deteriorated.
    > would anyone know whether that is the case?

    Basically correct. Your friend should plan to have a friend (you?) to
    help. A few things to note:

    While hardware support is a year, software support is only for a
    month.

    The clock starts at invoice, not when you receive the computer. You
    also lose a week at the end, because it can take that long to get a
    question answered correctly. So plan on setting it up immediately.
    You only have two weeks to test.

    Before calling, reboot and reinstal, because that's their advice
    anyway.

    Free support is only for easy questions. If they deem your problem
    too hard, you will have to pay for 3rd level support.

    Tanya wrote:

    > hello,
    > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    > technical support had deteriorated.
    > would anyone know whether that is the case?
    > THANKS!

    hi,
    i REALLY want to thank EVERYONE for the feedback re: experience w/ dell.

    VERY HELPFUL!
    the link
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/dell_svc.html
    is great -- i find ALL computers are mentioned there:)

    i'd forgotten the dell Web site discussion boards / forums -- thanks for
    the reminder!
    sincerely
    Tanya
    p.s. and this newsGroup is GREAT!

    Lawrence Glasser wrote:

    > Technobarbarian wrote:
    > >
    > > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > > hello,
    > > > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    > > > technical support had deteriorated.
    > > > would anyone know whether that is the case?
    > >
    > > "Deteriorated" is putting it mildly. Nearly non-existent is more like
    > > it. Individuals get Indians who get paid for getting rid of callers as fast
    > > as possible, regardless of whether or not they solve your problem. Corporate
    > > users talk to Americans who get paid for solving problems.
    >
    > Those "corporate users" include buyers through the Small Business Division,
    > something that anyone can do.
    >
    > Larry

    for a price?

    "kgnorwalk@aol.com" wrote:

    > Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    > > technical support had deteriorated.
    > > would anyone know whether that is the case?
    >
    > Basically correct. Your friend should plan to have a friend (you?) to
    > help. A few things to note:

    if it's me i wish them luck b/c i use 98se and the new one will be xp...

    > While hardware support is a year, software support is only for a
    > month.

    i thought that dell boasts about the automatic 3-yr warranty and 3-yr tech
    support???
    perhaps that has changed.

    > The clock starts at invoice, not when you receive the computer. You
    > also lose a week at the end, because it can take that long to get a
    > question answered correctly. So plan on setting it up immediately.
    > You only have two weeks to test.

    > Before calling, reboot and reinstal, because that's their advice
    > anyway.
    >
    > Free support is only for easy questions. If they deem your problem
    > too hard, you will have to pay for 3rd level support.

    thanks!

    Tanya wrote:

    > Lawrence Glasser wrote:
    >
    > > Technobarbarian wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Deteriorated" is putting it mildly. Nearly non-existent is more like
    > > > it. Individuals get Indians who get paid for getting rid of callers as fast
    > > > as possible, regardless of whether or not they solve your problem. Corporate
    > > > users talk to Americans who get paid for solving problems.
    > >
    > > Those "corporate users" include buyers through the Small Business Division,
    > > something that anyone can do.
    > >
    > > Larry
    >
    > for a price?

    Absolutely! <g>

    As a purchaser through Dell's Small Business Division, I opted for their
    Gold Tech Support program, which affords me the opportunity to speak to
    a US based tech, in a timely manner.

    Larry

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:31:37 -0400, Tanya
    <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:

    >hello,
    >i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    >technical support had deteriorated.
    >would anyone know whether that is the case?
    >THANKS!
    yes, dell is almost entirely supported from India, and they do not
    know damn near anything, even if you could understand what they were
    saying.

    mimsy borogove wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:31:37 -0400, Tanya
    > <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    >>hello,
    >>i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    >>technical support had deteriorated.
    >>would anyone know whether that is the case?
    >>THANKS!
    > yes, dell is almost entirely supported from India, and they do not
    > know damn near anything, even if you could understand what they were
    > saying.

    Are you kidding? Sheesh. AT&T Wireless "tech support" is now based in
    India, and all you ever get are automatons speaking through bloody awful
    phone connections. Call once and you'll never call again. Wait...maybe
    that's the whole idea, eh?

    Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<40CD212B.B68EEA37@spamcop.net>...
    > Technobarbarian wrote:
    > >
    > > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > > hello,
    > > > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
    > > > technical support had deteriorated.
    > > > would anyone know whether that is the case?
    > >
    > > "Deteriorated" is putting it mildly. Nearly non-existent is more like
    > > it. Individuals get Indians who get paid for getting rid of callers as fast
    > > as possible, regardless of whether or not they solve your problem. Corporate
    > > users talk to Americans who get paid for solving problems.
    >
    > Those "corporate users" include buyers through the Small Business Division,
    > something that anyone can do.

    THIS IS A LIE

    Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<40CFA9CA.DFB1E7A@spamcop.net>...
    > Tanya wrote:
    > >
    > > Lawrence Glasser wrote:

    > > > Those "corporate users" include buyers through the Small Business Division,
    > > > something that anyone can do.
    > > >
    > > > Larry
    > >
    > > for a price?
    >
    > Absolutely! <g>
    >
    > As a purchaser through Dell's Small Business Division, I opted for their
    > Gold Tech Support program, which affords me the opportunity to speak to
    > a US based tech, in a timely manner.

    THIS IS A LIE

    What's a lie, that anyone can buy through small business? Nope, absolutely
    true. All my home machines were bought through small business.

    Tom
    "John R." <jonathn_r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > > Technobarbarian wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Deteriorated" is putting it mildly. Nearly non-existent is more
    like
    > > > it. Individuals get Indians who get paid for getting rid of callers as
    fast
    > > > as possible, regardless of whether or not they solve your problem.
    Corporate
    > > > users talk to Americans who get paid for solving problems.
    > >
    > > Those "corporate users" include buyers through the Small Business
    Division,
    > > something that anyone can do.
    >
    > THIS IS A LIE

    no it's not.

    "John R." <jonathn_r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > > Technobarbarian wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Deteriorated" is putting it mildly. Nearly non-existent is more
    like
    > > > it. Individuals get Indians who get paid for getting rid of callers as
    fast
    > > > as possible, regardless of whether or not they solve your problem.
    Corporate
    > > > users talk to Americans who get paid for solving problems.
    > >
    > > Those "corporate users" include buyers through the Small Business
    Division,
    > > something that anyone can do.
    >
    > THIS IS A LIE

    All your home machines were bought through small business? I'm telling Dell
    all about it. You're in big trouble mister.

    Rocky ;->

    > What's a lie, that anyone can buy through small business? Nope, absolutely
    > true. All my home machines were bought through small business.

    <snip>

    On 19 Jun 2004 12:24:10 -0500, mimsy borogove <****@***.***> wrote:

    [ . . . ]

    >yes, dell is almost entirely supported from India, and they do not
    >know damn near anything, even if you could understand what they were
    >saying.

    Heh, try taking college courses in classic solid bodies mechanics from
    those folks. I did and it was a most interesting experience in
    cross-culture communications.

    Bill wrote:
    > On 19 Jun 2004 12:24:10 -0500, mimsy borogove <****@***.***> wrote:
    >
    > [ . . . ]
    >
    >>yes, dell is almost entirely supported from India, and they do not
    >>know damn near anything, even if you could understand what they were
    >>saying.
    >
    > Heh, try taking college courses in classic solid bodies mechanics from
    > those folks. I did and it was a most interesting experience in
    > cross-culture communications.

    You have my complete sympathy - my Economics lecturer my freshman year
    in college was a Korean guy, interesting year.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Vince McGowan" <SPAMvincemcg@nada.com> wrote in message
    > Bill wrote:
    > > On 19 Jun 2004 12:24:10 -0500, mimsy borogove <****@***.***> wrote:
    > >
    > > [ . . . ]
    > >
    > >>yes, dell is almost entirely supported from India, and they do not
    > >>know damn near anything, even if you could understand what they were
    > >>saying.
    > >
    > > Heh, try taking college courses in classic solid bodies mechanics from
    > > those folks. I did and it was a most interesting experience in
    > > cross-culture communications.
    >
    > You have my complete sympathy - my Economics lecturer my freshman year
    > in college was a Korean guy, interesting year.

    Yah, Yah, Is berry berry good computer! Sorry I no speak the English.

Dell Support Cases Computers