dell technical support -- question

tanya

hello,
i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
technical support had deteriorated.
would anyone know whether that is the case?
THANKS!

"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> hello,
> i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
> technical support had deteriorated.
> would anyone know whether that is the case?

"Deteriorated" is putting it mildly. Nearly non-existent is more like
it. Individuals get Indians who get paid for getting rid of callers as fast
as possible, regardless of whether or not they solve your problem. Corporate
users talk to Americans who get paid for solving problems.

Dennis

"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> hello,
> i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
> technical support had deteriorated.
> would anyone know whether that is the case?
> THANKS!

The support industry as a whole has gone downhill. Dell remains the best of
what's out there, imo.

Stew

"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> hello,
> i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
> technical support had deteriorated.
> would anyone know whether that is the case?
> THANKS!

Use email support when ever possible. Over all it takes longer to resolve
your problem but much less of your actual time and certainly less
frustrating trying to understand someone poor English.

In my experience, you will receive a replay with in 12-24 hours, many times
much faster. The initial reply will be the same exact script of actions
that the support person is going to have you go through. The advantage is
you can skip steps that have already been tried or make no since.

My other suggestion is this NG. There are alot of knowledge people who
frequent this group and are more then willing to help out.

--

Rob
Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"

fox

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:56:54 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
wrote:

>"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
>> hello,
>> i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
>> technical support had deteriorated.
>> would anyone know whether that is the case?
>> THANKS!
>>

>The support industry as a whole has gone downhill. Dell remains the best of
>what's out there, imo.
>

>Stew

I recently needed Dell T/S, and by the time we hung up, all was and
still is working as it should. There are never any guarantees of
course, but they came through on this one.

Technobarbarian wrote:

> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > hello,
> > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
> > technical support had deteriorated.
> > would anyone know whether that is the case?
>
> "Deteriorated" is putting it mildly. Nearly non-existent is more like
> it. Individuals get Indians who get paid for getting rid of callers as fast
> as possible, regardless of whether or not they solve your problem. Corporate
> users talk to Americans who get paid for solving problems.

Those "corporate users" include buyers through the Small Business Division,
something that anyone can do.

Larry

Most OEM technical support is nearly non-existent.
Dell is better than most, but unless you are quite computer literate, you
will find them of little help. By that I mean you will have to trouble shoot
and be able to open your computer and work with it's insides as directed by
the tech that you contact.

Also, this URL might give you an insight to the problems with Dell's Tech
Support.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/dell_svc.html

"J. Bronson" <jebronson@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Dell support is non-existent, via enail!
>
> The problem was, a loud pop and flash, the smell of burning
> electronics components, and now the system randomly shuts.
>
> (bad power supply, computer repair 101)
>
> I sent the first email and got back a reply. I did what they asked and
> sent the results.
>
> I get a email back a email stating the person helping me has left for
> the day but this person will try and help. This person sent back the
> EXACT same request for info. I emailed back saying I had just supplied
> that info.
>
> Yep. you guessed it that person had left for the day. but if I would
> do th these test I will try and help. Again the SAME requset for info.
> Again I sent it.
>
> Again that person has left for the day, the next request was to
> reformat the hard drive and reload everything.
>
> I emailed back and told them this was DUMB!!! and asked to have this
> problem bumped up to the next level.
>
> Yep, again that person would try and help. However if I did not do as
> ask and preform all the instruction there was nothing theu could do to
> help. IE reformat and reload windows.
>

> This went on for days, never the same person twice, and being ask to
> preforn the same tests over for each new tech.

I must just have the magic touch then because I NEVER have such problems
with email support. As a mater of fact I use email to avoid such problems.

Some how I don't think magic has anything to do with it.

--

Rob
Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"
A: "Hey ya'all watch this!!"

> an issue.!
>
> Next I was asked to reboot and go into the bios and do some things.
> like a P.O.S.T. I asked what that was and could I do it some other way
> because the computer would no longer boot, or show any signs of life.
>
> AHHH, now we are getting some where.
>
> I ended up with 47 pages of emails and two hours on the phone with an
> out-sourced tech.. fifteen minutes with a local tech. ordering a new
> power supply and mother board.
>
> This wa 4pm PST, by 8:30 am the next day the new parts had been
> installed.
>

> Just for the fun of it, I emailed tech support and ask it they could
> direct me to a notice I had read regarding two icons for the CD RW
> drive.
>
> Yep you guessed it, a most serious problem,, must reformat and reload
> Windows.
>

> The service is good ONCE you get past the incompetency of the call
> screeners.
>
> Thanks, now I feel better
> jerry
>

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:31:37 -0400, Tanya
> <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >hello,
> >i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
> >technical support had deteriorated.
> >would anyone know whether that is the case?
> >THANKS!

Gee. Only one complaint in the last year and a half.

"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Most OEM technical support is nearly non-existent.
> Dell is better than most, but unless you are quite computer literate, you
> will find them of little help. By that I mean you will have to trouble
shoot
> and be able to open your computer and work with it's insides as directed
by
> the tech that you contact.
>
> Also, this URL might give you an insight to the problems with Dell's Tech
> Support.
>
> http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/dell_svc.html
>
> "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > hello,
> > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
> > technical support had deteriorated.
> > would anyone know whether that is the case?
> > THANKS!

I guess that I missed something. I can't find anything on that page that
says how many "complaints" they have or have not received. The only thing
that I can figure is that you have assumed that all complaints that are
received are reprinted on that page. That is a lot of assuming.

You might want to glance at the last paragraph of this page.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/dell.htm

"joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Gee. Only one complaint in the last year and a half.
>
> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Most OEM technical support is nearly non-existent.
> > Dell is better than most, but unless you are quite computer literate,
you
> > will find them of little help. By that I mean you will have to trouble
> shoot
> > and be able to open your computer and work with it's insides as directed
> by
> > the tech that you contact.
> >
> > Also, this URL might give you an insight to the problems with Dell's
Tech
> > Support.
> >
> > http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/dell_svc.html
> >
> > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > > hello,
> > > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
> > > technical support had deteriorated.
> > > would anyone know whether that is the case?
> > > THANKS!

it is much harder today for first time buyers to purchase a pc. the fact
that most buyers are repeat buyers (if not students) and that prices have
plummeted, and computers have become commodities all means that support is
now bare bones from any manufacturer. they will help with software
questions that are in my opinion out of the reasonable boundaries of their
responsibility but when the question is poorly articulated or becoming too
time consuming to troubleshoot the call will be cut short with a 'reload
your system software and call us back if you still have problems.' computer
companies do not answer 'how do i' type questions. they do stand behind the
hardware with whatever level of service you purchase. the frustration comes
in when it is unclear if problem is hardware or software. having said all
that, say what you want about dell support, but it still remains the best in
the industry. but keep in mind that being the best doesn't necessarily mean
they are any good. as for news groups, this is the only lively one of the
majors (the hp and gateway groups are sadly dead, at least in terms of
answers to questions). this lively groups helps support dell in a very
candid way that understandably a manufacturer could not do directly due to
the need to protect themselves from exposure to more problems by suggesting
something that is extreme. and dell also has a lively dell discussion board
hosted on their own servers as well as on-line documentation and downloads
that are much easier to navigate than any of the competitors.

"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> hello,
> i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
> technical support had deteriorated.
> would anyone know whether that is the case?
> THANKS!

The 2 or 3 times over the past 8 years or so that I have needed tech
support, they were able to help me first time out. I have spoken with India
twice I believe, and they were helpful and in fact had hardware orders
waiting for the US techs when they opened in the morning. That expedited the
whole affair. Tech support has slid in the industry but Dell still remains
one of the best and I have dealt with other companies. And a darn sight
better than support you never get from local VARs (value added retailers).
Now ask me about ISP tech support...grrr.

Regards,
John O.

"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> hello,
> i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
> technical support had deteriorated.
> would anyone know whether that is the case?
> THANKS!

Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
> technical support had deteriorated.
> would anyone know whether that is the case?

Basically correct. Your friend should plan to have a friend (you?) to
help. A few things to note:

While hardware support is a year, software support is only for a
month.

The clock starts at invoice, not when you receive the computer. You
also lose a week at the end, because it can take that long to get a
question answered correctly. So plan on setting it up immediately.
You only have two weeks to test.

Before calling, reboot and reinstal, because that's their advice
anyway.

Free support is only for easy questions. If they deem your problem
too hard, you will have to pay for 3rd level support.

tanya

Tanya wrote:

> hello,
> i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
> technical support had deteriorated.
> would anyone know whether that is the case?
> THANKS!

hi,
i REALLY want to thank EVERYONE for the feedback re: experience w/ dell.

VERY HELPFUL!
the link
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/dell_svc.html
is great -- i find ALL computers are mentioned there:)

i'd forgotten the dell Web site discussion boards / forums -- thanks for
the reminder!
sincerely
Tanya
p.s. and this newsGroup is GREAT!

tanya

Lawrence Glasser wrote:

> Technobarbarian wrote:
> >
> > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > > hello,
> > > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
> > > technical support had deteriorated.
> > > would anyone know whether that is the case?
> >
> > "Deteriorated" is putting it mildly. Nearly non-existent is more like
> > it. Individuals get Indians who get paid for getting rid of callers as fast
> > as possible, regardless of whether or not they solve your problem. Corporate
> > users talk to Americans who get paid for solving problems.
>
> Those "corporate users" include buyers through the Small Business Division,
> something that anyone can do.
>
> Larry

for a price?

tanya

"kgnorwalk@aol.com" wrote:

> Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
> > technical support had deteriorated.
> > would anyone know whether that is the case?
>
> Basically correct. Your friend should plan to have a friend (you?) to
> help. A few things to note:

if it's me i wish them luck b/c i use 98se and the new one will be xp...

> While hardware support is a year, software support is only for a
> month.

i thought that dell boasts about the automatic 3-yr warranty and 3-yr tech
support???
perhaps that has changed.

> The clock starts at invoice, not when you receive the computer. You
> also lose a week at the end, because it can take that long to get a
> question answered correctly. So plan on setting it up immediately.
> You only have two weeks to test.

> Before calling, reboot and reinstal, because that's their advice
> anyway.
>
> Free support is only for easy questions. If they deem your problem
> too hard, you will have to pay for 3rd level support.

thanks!

Tanya wrote:

> Lawrence Glasser wrote:
>
> > Technobarbarian wrote:
> > >
> > > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Deteriorated" is putting it mildly. Nearly non-existent is more like
> > > it. Individuals get Indians who get paid for getting rid of callers as fast
> > > as possible, regardless of whether or not they solve your problem. Corporate
> > > users talk to Americans who get paid for solving problems.
> >
> > Those "corporate users" include buyers through the Small Business Division,
> > something that anyone can do.
> >
> > Larry
>
> for a price?

Absolutely! <g>

As a purchaser through Dell's Small Business Division, I opted for their
Gold Tech Support program, which affords me the opportunity to speak to
a US based tech, in a timely manner.

Larry

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:31:37 -0400, Tanya
<tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:

>hello,
>i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
>technical support had deteriorated.
>would anyone know whether that is the case?
>THANKS!
yes, dell is almost entirely supported from India, and they do not
know damn near anything, even if you could understand what they were
saying.

mimsy borogove wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:31:37 -0400, Tanya
> <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>hello,
>>i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
>>technical support had deteriorated.
>>would anyone know whether that is the case?
>>THANKS!
> yes, dell is almost entirely supported from India, and they do not
> know damn near anything, even if you could understand what they were
> saying.

Are you kidding? Sheesh. AT&T Wireless "tech support" is now based in
India, and all you ever get are automatons speaking through bloody awful
phone connections. Call once and you'll never call again. Wait...maybe
that's the whole idea, eh?

Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<40CD212B.B68EEA37@spamcop.net>...
> Technobarbarian wrote:
> >
> > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > > hello,
> > > i'm helping a friend buy their first pc and had heard that dell
> > > technical support had deteriorated.
> > > would anyone know whether that is the case?
> >
> > "Deteriorated" is putting it mildly. Nearly non-existent is more like
> > it. Individuals get Indians who get paid for getting rid of callers as fast
> > as possible, regardless of whether or not they solve your problem. Corporate
> > users talk to Americans who get paid for solving problems.
>
> Those "corporate users" include buyers through the Small Business Division,
> something that anyone can do.

THIS IS A LIE

Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<40CFA9CA.DFB1E7A@spamcop.net>...
> Tanya wrote:
> >
> > Lawrence Glasser wrote:

> > > Those "corporate users" include buyers through the Small Business Division,
> > > something that anyone can do.
> > >
> > > Larry
> >
> > for a price?
>
> Absolutely! <g>
>
> As a purchaser through Dell's Small Business Division, I opted for their
> Gold Tech Support program, which affords me the opportunity to speak to
> a US based tech, in a timely manner.

THIS IS A LIE

What's a lie, that anyone can buy through small business? Nope, absolutely
true. All my home machines were bought through small business.

Tom
"John R." <jonathn_r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > Technobarbarian wrote:
> > >
> > > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Deteriorated" is putting it mildly. Nearly non-existent is more
like
> > > it. Individuals get Indians who get paid for getting rid of callers as
fast
> > > as possible, regardless of whether or not they solve your problem.
Corporate
> > > users talk to Americans who get paid for solving problems.
> >
> > Those "corporate users" include buyers through the Small Business
Division,
> > something that anyone can do.
>
> THIS IS A LIE

no it's not.

"John R." <jonathn_r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > Technobarbarian wrote:
> > >
> > > "Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Deteriorated" is putting it mildly. Nearly non-existent is more
like
> > > it. Individuals get Indians who get paid for getting rid of callers as
fast
> > > as possible, regardless of whether or not they solve your problem.
Corporate
> > > users talk to Americans who get paid for solving problems.
> >
> > Those "corporate users" include buyers through the Small Business
Division,
> > something that anyone can do.
>
> THIS IS A LIE

All your home machines were bought through small business? I'm telling Dell
all about it. You're in big trouble mister.

Rocky ;->

> What's a lie, that anyone can buy through small business? Nope, absolutely
> true. All my home machines were bought through small business.

<snip>

bill

On 19 Jun 2004 12:24:10 -0500, mimsy borogove <****@***.***> wrote:

[ . . . ]

>yes, dell is almost entirely supported from India, and they do not
>know damn near anything, even if you could understand what they were
>saying.

Heh, try taking college courses in classic solid bodies mechanics from
those folks. I did and it was a most interesting experience in
cross-culture communications.