TECH:GTB Lucky Hand does not award free balls

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 22, 2005 12:22:02 PM

My 77 Got Lucky hand works 100% except for this newly developed
problem.

Extra balls are awarded at the preset scores. (50,000 and 100,000).
When a ball awarded, a "WOW" lights up on the BG.

To get a free ball in this game, you have to knock down drop targets
in this sequence: Two Jacks - bank resets - 3 Queens - bank resets -
full house - bank resets - royal flush - bank resets. Now, after you
know down the royal flush, only the 5 royal flush drop targets reset
(normal) and the red "WOW" light comes on on the playfield. Now,
every time you knock down the royal flush, a ball is awarded.

When I knock down the 5 royal flush cards, now extra ball is awarded,
no "knock" and now "wow" on the BG indicating a free ball. The target
bank resets as normal.

Would this problem most likely be in the "ball count unit" in the
backbox, or the "wow" relay. Since extra balls are awarded when a
given score is reached, I'm thinking the "ball count unit" unit works
as it should, but some signal is not getting to it when the 5 drop
targets are made. Then maybe its a problem with the "wow" relay.

I'm not a great reader of schematics (guess I better become one!), so
any suggestions on where to look or troubleshoot this problem would be
really appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
August 22, 2005 12:40:38 PM

Mike,

There is a separate "ball count type" unit in the head of this game to
handle the "WOW" extra balls, which is done separately from the normal
game balls. I don't have my Lucky Hand schematic in front of me but
would look at the WOW relay first. Obviously the game konws you
knocked the royal flush targets down since they reset, so any signal
that was supposed to process at that time is happening. It sounds like
the WOW relay is not acknowledging that it should award a WOW.

Let us know if you get anywhere with this.

Mike O.
August 22, 2005 2:19:21 PM

I concur, clearly it's the WOW which is evidently another word for special.
I guess it was another issue of no free balls or "specials" in Wisc and NY.

Wow.

--
billb
Sorry but I don't kiss ass, yours included.
"mikeo" <mikeo@dmwcc.com> wrote in message
> Mike,
>
> There is a separate "ball count type" unit in the head of this game to
> handle the "WOW" extra balls, which is done separately from the normal
> game balls. I don't have my Lucky Hand schematic in front of me but
> would look at the WOW relay first. Obviously the game konws you
> knocked the royal flush targets down since they reset, so any signal
> that was supposed to process at that time is happening. It sounds like
> the WOW relay is not acknowledging that it should award a WOW.
>
> Let us know if you get anywhere with this.
>
> Mike O.

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 22, 2005 5:22:25 PM

I forgot to mention earlier that when the four top rollovers are
completed, a "wow" light lights up for one of the lanes. When that
"wow" is made, a knock is heard, the "wow" relay pulls in, and a "wow"
illuminates in the backbox. So, it appears that the "wow" relay is
getting the signal in this instance. However, when the 5 drop targets
are made that should award a "wow", the relay does not pull in
(obviously). My question is, where should I look for the signal from
the completed drop target sequence that will cause the "wow" relay to
pull in. I can't seem to find it on the schematic. (told you I was bad
with schematics).

Thanks again.
Mike
August 22, 2005 5:35:21 PM

if the drop targets reset after you drop the royal and wow is not triggered,
then my guess is that there is a switch on the score motor that does not
have enough "make"

i'm guessing that a pulse from 1A fires thru another motor switch probably
normally open and probably 4C or something and then thru the drop targets
and then on to the WOW relay.

I can't seem to find it on the schematic. (told you I was bad
> with schematics).

well hey, i bet there was a time when you couldn't screw either but I bet
you also made the effort and learned.

meanwhile follow the schematic from the wow back to the score motor. that's
where i'd start. i bet i could fix it in 22 minutes.

--
"NJ Mike" <mikeb58@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I forgot to mention earlier that when the four top rollovers are
> completed, a "wow" light lights up for one of the lanes. When that
> "wow" is made, a knock is heard, the "wow" relay pulls in, and a "wow"
> illuminates in the backbox. So, it appears that the "wow" relay is
> getting the signal in this instance. However, when the 5 drop targets
> are made that should award a "wow", the relay does not pull in
> (obviously). My question is, where should I look for the signal from
> the completed drop target sequence that will cause the "wow" relay to
> pull in. > Thanks again.
> Mike

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 22, 2005 6:09:22 PM

Thanks Billb,
Great suggestions...and yes its true..with a little effort one can
learn.
Thanks again.

Mike
August 23, 2005 10:05:21 AM

Mike,

After some more thought on this, and a little more review of the
schematic, there appears to be a "5th position switch" as shown in
section 9E of the schematic for the "Add "lightbox advance" unit" which
turns on the ability of the game to give WOW's for the royal flush.
This is going to relate to the stepper unit I wrote you about last
night located on the main relay board right behind the chime unit.
Look for a switch or contact point set on the bakelite discs that
actuate in the last position on this unit. Wire color from the
schematic is BLK+WH on one side of it.

There are a couple of other switches in this circuit as well as can be
seen on the schematic. A switch on the "V" - WOW relay with wire
colors GR-YEL and OR-GR and a switch on the score motor position 1D
with wire colors OR-GR and RED+WH.

Let us know if this gets it.

Mike O.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 11:10:35 AM

And whenever you guys get really bored of your Lucky Hand, shoot me an
email... I'M TRYING TO BUY A LH.

pr
August 23, 2005 1:32:04 PM

PR,

Good luck in your search for this game. It is one of the simplest, yet
most addictive games from this era. Mine will be with me for a long
time.

Mike O.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 10:30:16 PM

Got it fixed! Turned out that I cleaned all the switches on the
target bank reset relay (P) and that did the trick. I figured that the
targets were reseting, properly, but something was not triggering the
wow relay to lock in when that happened.
But, in looking at the schematic...it doesn't seem like that should
impact the wow relay!? I really have to look at this schematic and
figure it out...it kills me that I can't do it because I'm generally
pretty logical.

Thanks again to everyone on providing help and effort.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 23, 2005 11:42:49 PM

I agree, PF and BG look faded.
August 24, 2005 12:12:16 AM

sometimes people rewire things. you have to be wary of that. glad you got
it to work, congrats.

--

!