TECH:GTB Lucky Hand does not award free balls

My 77 Got Lucky hand works 100% except for this newly developed
problem.

Extra balls are awarded at the preset scores. (50,000 and 100,000).
When a ball awarded, a "WOW" lights up on the BG.

To get a free ball in this game, you have to knock down drop targets
in this sequence: Two Jacks - bank resets - 3 Queens - bank resets -
full house - bank resets - royal flush - bank resets. Now, after you
know down the royal flush, only the 5 royal flush drop targets reset
(normal) and the red "WOW" light comes on on the playfield. Now,
every time you knock down the royal flush, a ball is awarded.

When I knock down the 5 royal flush cards, now extra ball is awarded,
no "knock" and now "wow" on the BG indicating a free ball. The target
bank resets as normal.

Would this problem most likely be in the "ball count unit" in the
backbox, or the "wow" relay. Since extra balls are awarded when a
given score is reached, I'm thinking the "ball count unit" unit works
as it should, but some signal is not getting to it when the 5 drop
targets are made. Then maybe its a problem with the "wow" relay.

I'm not a great reader of schematics (guess I better become one!), so
any suggestions on where to look or troubleshoot this problem would be
really appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
13 answers Last reply
More about tech lucky hand award free balls

    Mike,

    There is a separate "ball count type" unit in the head of this game to
    handle the "WOW" extra balls, which is done separately from the normal
    game balls. I don't have my Lucky Hand schematic in front of me but
    would look at the WOW relay first. Obviously the game konws you
    knocked the royal flush targets down since they reset, so any signal
    that was supposed to process at that time is happening. It sounds like
    the WOW relay is not acknowledging that it should award a WOW.

    Let us know if you get anywhere with this.

    Mike O.

    I concur, clearly it's the WOW which is evidently another word for special.
    I guess it was another issue of no free balls or "specials" in Wisc and NY.

    Wow.

    --
    billb
    Sorry but I don't kiss ass, yours included.
    "mikeo" <mikeo@dmwcc.com> wrote in message
    > Mike,
    >
    > There is a separate "ball count type" unit in the head of this game to
    > handle the "WOW" extra balls, which is done separately from the normal
    > game balls. I don't have my Lucky Hand schematic in front of me but
    > would look at the WOW relay first. Obviously the game konws you
    > knocked the royal flush targets down since they reset, so any signal
    > that was supposed to process at that time is happening. It sounds like
    > the WOW relay is not acknowledging that it should award a WOW.
    >
    > Let us know if you get anywhere with this.
    >
    > Mike O.

    I forgot to mention earlier that when the four top rollovers are
    completed, a "wow" light lights up for one of the lanes. When that
    "wow" is made, a knock is heard, the "wow" relay pulls in, and a "wow"
    illuminates in the backbox. So, it appears that the "wow" relay is
    getting the signal in this instance. However, when the 5 drop targets
    are made that should award a "wow", the relay does not pull in
    (obviously). My question is, where should I look for the signal from
    the completed drop target sequence that will cause the "wow" relay to
    pull in. I can't seem to find it on the schematic. (told you I was bad
    with schematics).

    Thanks again.
    Mike

    if the drop targets reset after you drop the royal and wow is not triggered,
    then my guess is that there is a switch on the score motor that does not
    have enough "make"

    i'm guessing that a pulse from 1A fires thru another motor switch probably
    normally open and probably 4C or something and then thru the drop targets
    and then on to the WOW relay.

    I can't seem to find it on the schematic. (told you I was bad
    > with schematics).

    well hey, i bet there was a time when you couldn't screw either but I bet
    you also made the effort and learned.

    meanwhile follow the schematic from the wow back to the score motor. that's
    where i'd start. i bet i could fix it in 22 minutes.

    --
    "NJ Mike" <mikeb58@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I forgot to mention earlier that when the four top rollovers are
    > completed, a "wow" light lights up for one of the lanes. When that
    > "wow" is made, a knock is heard, the "wow" relay pulls in, and a "wow"
    > illuminates in the backbox. So, it appears that the "wow" relay is
    > getting the signal in this instance. However, when the 5 drop targets
    > are made that should award a "wow", the relay does not pull in
    > (obviously). My question is, where should I look for the signal from
    > the completed drop target sequence that will cause the "wow" relay to
    > pull in. > Thanks again.
    > Mike

    Thanks Billb,
    Great suggestions...and yes its true..with a little effort one can
    learn.
    Thanks again.

    Mike

    Mike,

    After some more thought on this, and a little more review of the
    schematic, there appears to be a "5th position switch" as shown in
    section 9E of the schematic for the "Add "lightbox advance" unit" which
    turns on the ability of the game to give WOW's for the royal flush.
    This is going to relate to the stepper unit I wrote you about last
    night located on the main relay board right behind the chime unit.
    Look for a switch or contact point set on the bakelite discs that
    actuate in the last position on this unit. Wire color from the
    schematic is BLK+WH on one side of it.

    There are a couple of other switches in this circuit as well as can be
    seen on the schematic. A switch on the "V" - WOW relay with wire
    colors GR-YEL and OR-GR and a switch on the score motor position 1D
    with wire colors OR-GR and RED+WH.

    Let us know if this gets it.

    Mike O.

    And whenever you guys get really bored of your Lucky Hand, shoot me an
    email... I'M TRYING TO BUY A LH.

    pr

    PR,

    Good luck in your search for this game. It is one of the simplest, yet
    most addictive games from this era. Mine will be with me for a long
    time.

    Mike O.

    PR,

    How about this one?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-Gottlieb-LUCKY-HAND-Pinball-Machine_W0QQitemZ6203414014

    Mike O.

    playfield looks faded.

    --
    billb
    > PR,
    >
    > How about this one?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-Gottlieb-LUCKY-HAND-Pinball-Machine_W0QQitemZ6203414014

    > Mike O.

    Got it fixed! Turned out that I cleaned all the switches on the
    target bank reset relay (P) and that did the trick. I figured that the
    targets were reseting, properly, but something was not triggering the
    wow relay to lock in when that happened.
    But, in looking at the schematic...it doesn't seem like that should
    impact the wow relay!? I really have to look at this schematic and
    figure it out...it kills me that I can't do it because I'm generally
    pretty logical.

    Thanks again to everyone on providing help and effort.

    I agree, PF and BG look faded.

    sometimes people rewire things. you have to be wary of that. glad you got
    it to work, congrats.

    --
    > Got it fixed! Turned out that I cleaned all the switches on the
    > target bank reset relay (P) and that did the trick. I figured that the
    > targets were reseting, properly, but something was not triggering the
    > wow relay to lock in when that happened.
    > But, in looking at the schematic...it doesn't seem like that should
    > impact the wow relay!? I really have to look at this schematic and
    > figure it out...it kills me that I can't do it because I'm generally
    > pretty logical.
    >
    > Thanks again to everyone on providing help and effort.

Light World Of Warcraft Video Games