OK, Any help for this problem?

I can't seem to get anywhere with getting rid of the
Failed to Download error. I've tried all the ideas I
know how to do. I tried to just delete the whole MSN
Games folder, but it wouldn't let me do it because
apparently something in that folder is protected, or in
use. No programs are running that I can tell. When I go
into the folder, select all, and delete, all files are
deleted. However, the file icons pop right back up in
the folder, even though the files are now in my trash
can. The files just can't be deleted, and none of them
are write protected or anything. What can I do?

thanks,
dan
9 answers Last reply
More about problem
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    dan wrote:

    > I can't seem to get anywhere with getting rid of the
    > Failed to Download error. I've tried all the ideas I
    > know how to do. I tried to just delete the whole MSN
    > Games folder, but it wouldn't let me do it because
    > apparently something in that folder is protected, or in
    > use. No programs are running that I can tell. When I go
    > into the folder, select all, and delete, all files are
    > deleted. However, the file icons pop right back up in
    > the folder, even though the files are now in my trash
    > can. The files just can't be deleted, and none of them
    > are write protected or anything. What can I do?
    >
    > thanks,
    > dan

    With XP, the files are considered system files. To remove the Zone, Use
    the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, click the Windows Components
    in the left column, locate the Zone in the Games section, and deselect
    it.

    Have you tried the suggestions here?

    http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#ftd

    --

    +Elmo_Tech
    MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

    clvck
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Yes, Elmo, I've tried just about everything. I didn't
    contact my ISP (optimum online) because I didn't know if
    this applied to me. I have:
    - checked the firewall, which I disabled
    - turned off any virus checkers and pop up blockers
    - cleared the cache
    - deleted heartbeat
    - deleted any conflicts with zextract.exe
    - deleted MSN Games through both add/remove programs and
    just now from your advice above, through Remove
    Components. The components are gone, but the folders are
    still there and won't go away, if that matters.
    - tried everything else on sympatico except getting the
    files off another computer, which I don't have.

    One thing that has been happening is that every once in
    awhile I get a message that "there is a network cable
    unplugged" and a little icon of a computer with an X on
    it comes up on the system bar near the time. I have no
    network and don't know how to stop this error. Maybe it
    is causing a problem??

    Thanks. I never got your emails, but I'm not sure it
    matters. Mine is dwhite110@optonline.net

    dan
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    One other problem I have that might help is that whenever
    I try to check for updates online for things such as a
    pop up stopper, I get a message that I could not connect
    to the update server. This has happened with more than
    one application, and doesn't seem to care whether I am
    using the firewall or not. There are two users on this
    pc if it matters.

    thanks,
    dan
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    I doubt it's causing the problem, but right-click the icon in the tray,
    look at the Network components, and disable the network card. That
    should prevent the error message in the future. Make sure the Windows
    firewall is disabled, till the Zone is installed correctly. There are
    many problems associated with NIS and the Zone. Here's a link to a
    search result:

    Click the different "View Thread" icons that look like they might apply
    to your situation, if you have NIS.

    --

    +Elmo_Tech
    MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

    clvck
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Is there something missing above? You were going to
    provide a link to a search result? Also I cannot right
    click on the "network unplugged" icon because it
    disappears as soon as I put the cursor over it. I have
    XP. Also, what is NIS? I do not know the ins and outs
    of this stuff. I just want to get back to the Zone! lol.

    Thanks,
    dan
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Please disregard the below. The problem is fixed.

    thanks,
    dan

    >Is there something missing above? You were going to
    >provide a link to a search result? Also I cannot right
    >click on the "network unplugged" icon because it
    >disappears as soon as I put the cursor over it. I have
    >XP. Also, what is NIS? I do not know the ins and outs
    >of this stuff. I just want to get back to the Zone! lol.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >dan
    >.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    > One other problem I have that might help is that whenever
    > I try to check for updates online for things such as a
    > pop up stopper, I get a message that I could not connect
    > to the update server. This has happened with more than
    > one application, and doesn't seem to care whether I am
    > using the firewall or not. There are two users on this
    > pc if it matters.
    >
    > thanks,
    > dan

    NIS and other firewalls, or IE settings can cause the pages to not
    load. Web accelerators, and ad blockers can write to the hosts file (no
    extension, look for HOSTS) and prevent you from entering the restricted
    sites.

    IE settings:
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#IE

    Norton Internet Security
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#Step12

    --

    +Elmo_Tech
    MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

    clvck
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    >NIS and other firewalls, or IE settings can cause the
    pages to not
    >load. Web accelerators, and ad blockers can write to
    the hosts file (no
    >extension, look for HOSTS) and prevent you from entering
    the restricted
    >sites.
    >
    >IE settings:
    >http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#IE

    Elmo - IT'S FIXED! Thanks a lot. I appreciate your
    help! The link above did it, and it appears that
    something in my IE settings allowed the Zone download to
    come through.

    Regards,
    dan
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    please let me know.

Games Video Games