MSI K8N Neo Platinum mobo
Athlon 64 3200+ Clawhammer
512mb PC3200
9800np(256bit)
120gb SATA Seagate Barricuda
Onboard Sound
Lite-On 52x32x52 CDRW
Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM

Ok, so everything is installed fine and working. I am trying to install XP Pro. At the beginning everything is fine.

1. Setup is loading files
2. Specify Additional Drives
(Ok, this is where I thought that I had to load up SATA drivers from the floppy that came with mobo. So when Setup starts I hit F6, and it prompted this, hitting (S) to specify additional drives. So it gives me the choice of either NVIDIA Nforce Storage Controller and/or Nvidia RAID Class Driver. The first time I choose both. The second time I choose just NVIDIA Nforce Storage Controller. Both had same result explained below.)

3. Setup is loading files...
4. Setup is starting Windows...(now here something happened strange a couple of times. The usb keyboard I had installed would function fine up until this step, then it wouldn't function(seemed to turn off) and I couldn't hit Enter to continue setup. But eventually I got it to register it after a couple of restarts. Why does this happen?)
5. Asks to partition drive. Drive partitioned successfully.
6. Insert Disk Labeled:
NVIDIA RAID Driver(SCSI)
into Drive A:

Press Enter

This is where I have the problem. The floppy labeled "nforce3 SATA RAID Driver For WinXP only" is inserted. So I hit Enter. Please wait...then it goes back to the Insert Disk Labeled: etc. etc. But I inserted it!!! It just keeps looping this. Hit Enter, Please wait....then back to prompt again.

What am I supposed to do at this point? Was I even supposed to hit F6 to load these drivers? Which one am I supposed to choose? NVIDIA Nforce Storage Controller and/or Nvidia RAID Class Driver? Or neither? I'm not running a RAID setup. Just one Hard Drive.

This is a really frustrating roadblock.

Thanks for any and all help.

--

"I'm a rageaholic."
(<i>starts crying</i>)
"I just can't live without rageahol." - Homer Simpson
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ltj311 on 07/06/04 10:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Ok, well I decided to try and install XP without installing the Sata drivers. It worked fine. I've installed XP, installed mobo drivers, and now I'm typing this from the new pc.

The only thing is when I look at what type of HDD I have it comes up as a IDE drive. Not a SATA. Does this matter? I figure it doesn't since SATA and IDE drives are comparable in terms of performance. I do like the smaller cables.

Another thing I noticed. My case has a sensor display on the front panel. Idle it reads around 35c and under heavy load it runs about 41c.

But when I checked the sensor using Aida32, it was MUCH higher. Under idle it reads 57c and under heavy load it reads 62c. Which one is right? I hope to God it's the case reading.

Because isn't 57c kinda hot under idle?

--

"I'm a rageaholic."
(<i>starts crying</i>)
"I just can't live without rageahol." - Homer Simpson

evulboo

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
my freind has the same mobo and gets the same temp readouts 57c-70c this from the resesrch ive done is a problem with the temp readout on the motherboard and is reading about 20c higher then normal, abit mobo's had the same problem they solved it by releasing a bios update that lowerd it, the problem with msi is that they say its not there problem and is actually amd's fault, im pretty sure tho that msi will release a bios fix to lower the temp readout

If u do things right.... People won't be sure you've done anything at all......

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
SATA drives are IDE drives. IDE stands for "Integrated drive electronics", and means that the controller card for the the HD is built in. SATA is just a different way of connecting an IDE drive to your computer.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

Enter the bios during startup by pressing the "del" key. Select the "integrated peripherals" section. Select "onboard device" the second section and press enter. The first selection is "raid configuration". Enter this section and disable any raid funtion you're not using. Then your hardrive(s) should work in non raid mode.